Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder containers

I use those plastic containers the wife empties for laundry soap and fabric softener. They are colored so light can't get through, they have a built in pour spout that is large in diameter, and they are easily rinsed. She buys everything in gallon containers, and they will hold close to eight pounds of powder. Just be sure you let them dry thoroughly before using.

Wow, lots of things to address here!

-First of all thanks for the suggestions.
    -The powder came from Higginson in Ontario; he used to ship in Tupperware-like boxes and customers complained about spillage at openings
    -Glass is Verbotten by federal ruling I think...it could restrain the pressure and then explode in case of fire.
    -I once wasted the last ounces of a powder pound by keeping it in a fancy jam jar, not transparent but translucent (mustard colored); maybe the lid wasn't as air tight as it looked.... The powder went from Universal speed to ...whatever; 250 9luger to go raking the slide for each round... Even going 50% above max load didn't seem to change a thing. Groups were still decent thanks Browning...
    -So I had a look at the kitchen and found yoghurt pots...
    I'm thinking: Blueberry/Titegroup, Cherry/700X, Raspberry/SP83 and Peach/Lil'Gun... or maybe: Raspberry/Titegroup, Peach/700X, Blueberry/SP83 and Cherry/Lil'Gun.... or no, no, wait: Peach/Titegroup,........................................ ..

I should have added to my post: I very clearly mark any containers other than original. I buy a lot of milsurp powders, so in addition to marking them, I add a note as to relative quickness. For instance, my lot of WC 820 is marked "use AAC #9 data". When I finally tip over, my Son will probably wind up with all my reloading gear and components. I've talked to him about my methodology so he knows where and what everything is. Even my batches of cast boolits have notes with them stating caliber, measured diameter, and alloy.

I've seen piles of components at estate sales and garage sales that make me shiver. Nobody knows what or how old the stuff is, how it's been stored, etc. I was given a canning jar once with several thousand primers dumped loose inside. As an experiment, I tried using some and about every third one was a dud. I suspect they had been stored in that jar on a window sill for a few years. Imagine what a bomb that could be!

Wink

I was gifted about 8 or 9 lb of Red Dot and 6 or 7 lb of Unique powder in the old 8 lb cardboard containers.

I bought several of the wide mouth, opaque colored 1 liter "nalgene" bottles at Sportsman's Warehouse and poured the powder into them.

I then printed out some LARGE labels on plain white paper, trimmed the paper to size, used clear wrapping tape, and stuck the labels on the bottles.

That "nalgene" is supposed to be non-reactive, and seems to be fine so far. I can see myself recycling these bottles with milsurp powder over the years.

YMMV
    Regards,

WE

Thanks C1PNR.

PB, you can only find deactivated squirtguns at garage sales here, they call the place the "Lower Mainland".

kg

GunLoad Trainee

I bought some 4831 back when clintons gun ban took effect and it was stored in 2 liter pop bottles. I am down to 2/3 of 1 left and it still chrono's the same. The seller bought a 33 lb keg and washed and dried the bottles, I kept them din a cool dark place. Gianni. PS. a 2 litetr bottle holds about 4 lbs.
    Front sight and squeeze

Thanks MT, I'm beginning to think that powder is much less mysterious than what "they" want us to know... been thinking about making my own ...
    I finally got an answer from Hodgdon's VP who says they only recommend the containers they sell the powder in.

By the way does anybody reload his primers.........? Not the Tap-O-Cap thing for BP....

kg

GunLoad Trainee

I buy from Higginsons as well. I leave the powder in the bag in the box and use it from there. Andrew gave me a couple of empty cans and one day and told me that the containers (looked a lot like chocolate milk mix, Quick containers) were not acceptable to mail carrier.

GunLoad Trainee

You might try locating some one gallon metal solvent cans. These are very much like the gallon cans in which you get paint thinner, etc. Years ago, I bought a 50 lb paper keg of H4831 on a close-out. I used the cans and the worked great.

However, locally I have been unable to get the cans nowadays. It seems that the drug makers use them for storing chemicals and that most lumber yards and paint stores no longer carry them.
    B.F.

kg42- a thought occurred to me as I was getting a new prescription @ the pharmacy; they emptied one of their bulk containers and promptly threw it in the trash. They're opaque plastic, and look like they'd hold about a pound of powder. It might be worth your while to hit up a pharmacist.

-Klaus