Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hart or Krieger?

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    My question is this to all you very knowledgable gun nuts. What kind of quality work does Krieger do when installing and chambering, lapping lugs and reface reciever and bolt face to square everything up. Anyone know the answer to this question, do they do good work? DaveT
    Dave,

This is news to me. For the longest time Krieger wouldn't do chambering work at all.

But because of the equipment that they have to operate with in their method of barrel making as opposed to machinery required to pull a button through a barrel, they should know how to operate the necessary equipment and be familiar with the processes you list.

Remember, it is one thing to make a barrel. You can always say that you put your heart and soul into the thing and your smith messed it up. But .... when you do the entire package, you have no one else to blame. My guess is that since it is their name on the line, they will do it right.

Just make sure that they understand what your desire for services are going into this project because in this day and age they are NOT automatic simply by getting a barrel change. Make sure you ask.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Krieger barrel work

Thanks for the response Bass Ackward and your message is very reasonable and makes good sense. I have spoken directly with a technician at Kriegers and discussed this project and he gave me complete details on price, contour, types of steel and break in, very nice guy I might add. Nothing like the a..holes at Winchester. I sent the gun out today with a full detailed note on what I wanted done, with a check and a copy of my dealers FFL. After chatting with Willy and reading your feelings on this project I feel very confident that my gun will come back in fine shape and that the folks at Krieger will stand behind thier reputation.
    Dave T

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    After chatting with Willy and reading your feelings on this project I feel very confident that my gun will come back in fine shape and that the folks at Krieger will stand behind thier reputation.
    Dave T
    Dave,

Just remember the biggest negative to Krieger barrels is that they are cut rifled. That means taller, more square rifling in tough steel. We have had customer complain about accuracy until they got to 200 rounds and the barrels settled in.

So don't get discouraged if it takes close to that before you reach the ahhhhhh stage.