Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Swaged Jacketed Bullets

GunLoad Trainee

How about drilling a relief hole in the seating punch? That would make cast cores all useable without adjustment. Just cast a little heavy, and extrude the excess.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMauser View Post
    454pb, is that a regular rock chucker press you are using or is it the RCBS Supreme. I have some swaging dies coming and I don't know if my rock chuckers can do it or if I need to haunt ebay for a beefier press. I think I will be ok for now as I am using soft lead for PP bullets. that's the plan now. JB
    It's a 35 year old Rockchucker. It has all the power needed, and my new Lee Classic Turret does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    How about drilling a relief hole in the seating punch? That would make cast cores all useable without adjustment. Just cast a little heavy, and extrude the excess.
    That might work, but it would have to be drilled very small, and would extrude through the shell holder and into the primer ejection slot in the press ram. Since I use pure lead cores, it might also tend to pull lead out of the jacket as the ram is lowered.

GunLoad Trainee

Hi I am considering buying Corbins 22 jacketed boolit kit. I have a Forster Coax B2 press and was wondering if anyone can tell me the physical size of the dies. The reason being is that the forester handle swings over the die in the press. The one die that looks the biggest is the one with the ejector punch you need to tap to remove the finished boolit. Is this correct? What distance from the shell holder to the top of the die is required when at the top of the stroke? Any other important dimensions you think I have missed would be greatly appreciated. Also the handle clearance narrows, at 1" spacing I have about 5" of clearance between the bottom of the lock ring and the handle. There is 5/8" from the shell holder adapter to the bottom of the lock ring.

If I have to buy a new press I am unsure about corbins press as it is expensive and I doubt I would make any other kind of jacketed boolit as the materials will cost just as much as buying them. I am interested in the arbor press adapter for it though and the press is supposed to be a lot faster.

Thank you.

I don't see that it would be a problem. The dies are the same size as reloading dies. The ejector could actually be removed during the upstoke of the ram, then inserted after the handle is lowered if there was a clearance problem. The ejector rod simply lays in the die and is lifted out to remove it.
    Last edited by 454PB; 01-08-2007 at 06:13 AM.

GunLoad Trainee

There was an outfit that went by the name of Top-Flite that made jacket-making and bullet swage dies for .224 where the die body snapped into the ram and the heel punch screwed into the 7/8-14 threads. There was a tool that worked like a press-mounted primer seater that ejected the finished bullet. It does require a 1" ram dia. to work. Their dies were half the money of the Corbin tools. Now that I have the money, I can't find them anymore.

GunLoad Trainee

tag for info on "top-flite"

i've been searching and reading all I can on the topic of swaging and i can't find them anywhere.

the best deal so far would be used (but I can't find dies or presses anywhere) or buying from Richard corbin.

If only I had a bunch of cash to get started doing this.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading newbie

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    There was an outfit that went by the name of Top-Flite that made jacket-making and bullet swage dies for .224 where the die body snapped into the ram and the heel punch screwed into the 7/8-14 threads. There was a tool that worked like a press-mounted primer seater that ejected the finished bullet. It does require a 1" ram dia. to work. Their dies were half the money of the Corbin tools. Now that I have the money, I can't find them anymore.
    sure it isn't "Sport-Flite"

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by kg42 View Post
    Thanks for the info PB. I regularly have thoughts about Corbin's stuff but the dependency on wire and/or jackets doesn't make sense for me in larger calibers...
    the only problem with casting is the odd smell in shared houses...
    Hi kg42

Some time ago i undrstood that my life wouldnt bee complete whitout a rifle in a old english cartridge and i chose .425 Westley Richards there aint many supliers how makes bullets in .435 so i went and bought equipment from cobin to make jackets from copper tubing and a set for a round nose bullet. the result was verry good accuracy superp. It takes time and alot of tinkering but it is kind of fun

Math