Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anybody home?

Ah this is a look that I know so well ! I get threaterned with ! You Old Fart we'll put you in a home ! Yet the kids come home with news of the latest song ,or trend & are agast when I point out I knew of that song or "Invention" back in the 60's ! Looks of horror from the kids ! I have tried to explain you can't reinvent the wheel !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

New car, same old rubber tires. My teenage daughter has taken a fancy to my cd collection, but she rips and burns herself new copies instead of snagging mine. She's a keeper, but she'll probably be flying the nest soon. Too bad.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

lovedogs

Well, it looks like we finally got things rolling around here. Feels good. I just knew someone had to be around. Huffmanite, I only use those big ol' 500 gr. bullets for shooting at silly-wets. Some of our locals use lighter bullets but the big uns seem to do better when shooting a half-mile. Our final target, a 876 yd. buffalo is hard to hit on a windy day and the heavies do better. I only use 300gr. for hunting with the .45-70.... they are plenty for game.

On the odd occastion my gun guy gets a god deal on 300 gn .458 bullets I'll lash out & get 100 for goats ! But I,ve got a 405 gn mould whih I really love as a hunting round out of my Marlin

Dave

Good thread on the slang.I love to hear all the ways we can take the same basic english? and make it our own.Stealing words from other languages is somthing I bet we have no peers to.Somthing the french just cant do. I have a midwestern US dialect.I can understand most others.My mother is from Tennessee,so I can understand our southern drawl OK.But I met some backwoods logers from Alabama and I had a real hard time with them.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

I reckon the hardest person in thew world to understand is a Welshman when he gets excited! Used to Shoot a ajoining property with a "Taffey" On the odd occassion there'd be a little poaching between the two of us & if I caught him on my patch or visa versa would he get excited & there was no way you could keep up with the rate of speach ! (let alone get a word in )

Dave

My wife and I took several motorcycle tours of Canada. I had more trouble understanding those Canucks than I did when we visited New Orleans. Of course we here in Montana "think" we have no accent, but the people in the South sure thought we did. A lot of them even said "you sound like you're from Montana".

My son-in-law was born and raised in Ohio, and I give him grief all the time about his Ohio slang.

lovedogs

If we want to go the other direction, take a look along the border with Mexico. My first wife was Mexican so I speak it pretty well. And the people way down in their country are fine. But along the border they butcher both English and Spanish really bad. We Americans can't understand them and neither can the Mexicans. I've always enjoyed learning of other cultures and find languages interesting.

Private

I'm hiding........
    Never get caught with your pants down.
    Makes it hard to run.
    NAHC Life Member
    The old calibers and guns got the job done
    WARTHOG

Private

Quote Originally Posted by d-o-k
    Ah this is a look that I know so well ! I get threaterned with ! You Old Fart we'll put you in a home ! Yet the kids come home with news of the latest song ,or trend & are agast when I point out I knew of that song or "Invention" back in the 60's ! Looks of horror from the kids ! I have tried to explain you can't reinvent the wheel !

Dave
    Unless, a guy from work. Now retired.
    He was getting the itch to make his own memory boards ! They are already been invented. ie: he was trying to re-invent the wheel.
    I showed him my INTEL book for electronics engineers. He thumbed through it.
    Very complicated.
    Tail tucked in between his legs. Boards were 3-4 layers thick. Wasn't like 30 years ago. And, I've been in electronics for 40 years, or more.
    Never get caught with your pants down.
    Makes it hard to run.
    NAHC Life Member
    The old calibers and guns got the job done
    WARTHOG