Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody home?

GunLoad Trainee

That's alright D-O-K, remember the time 3 Auz sailors came into a store I was employed in to buy some things. I and two fellow workers couldn't understand much of what they said when they began asking us questions about Houston. I had them write out their questions to answer them.

Of all the hundreds of dialects of English, the hardest for me to understand is Scottish, and that because they add in a lot of Erse (Scots Gaelic). If they use only English words I can puzzle it out. There are some inner city black slangs that I'm clueless with, but with them, just like with Oz, it's a matter of learning the idioms. That is, I know the words they're using, but they put them together in groups that are, to me, sometimes meaningless. The two most pleasing to the ear are Irish and Hawaiian. To me, the language is a tool that I use in my work, and each new set of words I learn is like another set of loading dies on the shelf or a new box of router bits. The amazing diversity of the posters from all around the world is a humbling and enriching experience. Many of us couldn't understand each other if we were speaking aloud, yet we easily transcend those differences through the love of our common interests. I'm sure if Dave heard me telling a story in my New England Yankee twang, he and his mates would be scratching their heads and catching about half of it, and there'd be a good many Americans who wouldn't understand me very well, either. While I seldom write in dialect, I enjoy the slang expressions and trying to puzzle them out by their context is every bit as much fun for me as the puzzle of the local deer herd I try to work out each summer and fall. And I'm probably a bit more successful with the language, too!
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I think the thing that sums up the Aussie slang the best (which seems to be disapearing by the way ) Was a photo of a sign out side of a store in Palistine in WW1 ...... English & French spoken ! Austrailian.......... understood ! I found it cary once that a jornilist who was doing a story on Pro shooting had interviewed a group of us ,took the time to write down exactly how we had spoken & the was just a continues line of words without break or puntuation ! Owyagionmatehaveagoodnight? scary stuff! To us it would of been a plain Ow ya going Mate ? Have a good night?

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Maybe this will make sense to you, d-o-k

I play music in a band, and there was a couple at one of our dances from Australia. During my break, we struck up a conversation, and I made a remark to the guy that his wife sure had a big fanny pack. He got really agitated and walked away. I won't say what I learned about my remark......maybe you want to explain for the rest of the crew

454 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to shake the hand of the man who made that coment to a Aussie about his wife & can still write with out the aid of artificial assistance & eat solid food as apposed to taking it through a straw

Now remembering we have younger members on this site !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Australia Fanny is Slang for the Female of the speicies Sexual organs !

Over here what your refer to a fanny is called a Bum (Yeah I know a Bum to yu people is a down & out person ) I know this as I once refered to a Yank as being a Bum in the sence of being a A/hole & got the reply that he was quite wealthy & up standing in his community ! Needless to say as he walked away I thought to my self .......Well that did'nt have the effect I would have liked !

Dave

Oh whilst on the subject of BUMS/ FANNYS the expresstion to discribe a womans back side of ample proportion is .......6 1/2 axe handles across the acre & then duck for cover

As I'm about to as the wife is reading this over my shoulder ....MEDIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

I have to remember that one, almost fell out of my chair laughing! We say things like "bigger hams than a brood sow", "she's got at least four cheeks", "she better watch out for one legged men carrying harpoons", or "draft horses are taller and have tails"......
    Brits use "fanny" the same way, and not as a polite word I'm told. It must be a hoot when you hear it's sometimes a woman's name over here, a nickname for Frances. Our semantic equivalent (i.e. not fit for polite company) comes from Irish slang and again, keeping in mind that we have younger readers, I will use the acronym See You Next Tuesday.
    Why "boomer"? Or is there a reason?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I was so surprised at his reaction, I asked one of the others (there were about 6 Aussies in the group) what I had done to insult him

I later talked to him and explained my ignorance of Aussie slang and he forgave me.

So what do you call a fanny pack in Australia? Bum pouch?
    Last edited by 454PB; 03-24-2006 at 05:59 AM.

A Boomer get's it's nick name form the sound they make as they hit the ground with their feet & tail after jumping! Of a night you can hear the Thud, thud, of them jumping ! A fanny bag over here is known as a Bum bag ! A down & out is known to be a Feral! Homosexual is a POOf, Drongo is a idiot. the thing is these can be also used as terms of enderment! Ie a Mate of mine is called" Emil the Poof" (due to the Fact his a Pom (english) & he speaks very dictioned english ! He is happily married )
    A serious insult to us Roo shootrers is for one to call another a Roo Tick ! Scab is another very serious insult refering to non union strike breaking workers ! Whom are considered the lowest form of life on the planet ! Having never worked in a industry that has a unin I tend to stay away from this issue & leave it to those invovled

Dave

Hey! common ground......a scab is the same thing to us.

Some of the others are totally foreign to me. The interesting thing is that slang in American English changes constantly. As my now adult kids were growing up, I'd make some remark and get that "Dad is old and hasn't a clue" look. Even funnier, slang we used when I was a teenager is now returning. It's hard keeping up.

My daughter (who is 34) recently asked me to teach her how to convert audio CD's to MP3 files and burn them on a disk. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the songs she wanted to convert were by the Beatles and the Eagles.....this was the music she groaned at when I played it as she was growing up.