Thread: A nice gift

Default A nice gift

The lad & I went up the range this morning to shoot a bit of Western action & to my supprise & his joy (the Lad ) THe other gent whom we tend to shoot with had made up some .410 brass rounds by reforming .303 brit cases and machining the rims a little thinner to fit newer models ! Needless to say the lad was overjoyed by this ! The other chap themn mentioned that he had a stack of origanal brass .410 ammo for the Enfied converstions (fully loaded as it turned out ) I was able to go back down the hill to home & ring a matewho has one of these Old MkIII convertions & we were able to play round with these old rounds! Quite a event ! (if only my shooting had been up to scratch it would have been better !)

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

I've seen the converted rifles, but did'nt know you could convert the cases to 410. Neat!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    I've seen the converted rifles, but did'nt know you could convert the cases to 410. Neat!!!
    Yeah the origanal rounds were made up out of .303 brass & loaded with light shot or slugs as a Riot /crowd control round The SMLE convertions have a fair bit of headspace when using the New ammo Not that this is noticed . It was just great to fire the weapon with the correct type of ammo !

Dave

Now you guys did it! I want one!

What is so special about the 410?
    More than a decade ago, I bought a Belgian or French gun mag featuring a Lefaucheux 12mm "Dragon" ; not your ordinary politically correct european 12mm cough-cough... but the european equivalent of the 410.
    Now i am not a fan of open tops or looooong cylinders, but that gun has been haunting me since... It was bigger than a Colt Dragoon.... and so much meaner
    And please nobody tells me to buy a Maxine/BFR/Taurus in 410 or a S&W..... I don't LIKE them... Maybe a Dragoon/Walker could be converted ...

And read that http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=19757 , everybody has fun with the 410 but me....!!!!!

When I was living in Montana, I had an old 410 that I used a lot, but I sold it last year because I out grew it. Any way me and dad were trying to find something that would work for the 410 shell, because 410's are a little costy. Well we made one out of a 303 and it worked. Dad never had time to make me more, but I used that one shell with slugs until that case was no use to the scrap yard.
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    P.S. Maybe I should get an old junky Lee enfield. My dad has one with a 8mm bore and that looks like junk.....Maybe I can convince him that it is junk and get it to a 410, 28 or maybe 20??

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Daniel, what kind of accuracy did you get? What did you hunt with it?

Did you cast your slugs? What powders, wads, etc...?

Thanks
    kg

Kg over the years Ive used winchester slugs out of single barrel .410s with about 4inch groups at 30 yrds & Have used them on medium sized Goats out to about 40 yrds with great sucess in the chest heart/lung I've yet to try them through a sighted weapon !

Dave

Thanks Dave!