Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper Patch Bullets

Default Paper Patch

You should contact dave at Montana Bullet Works (www.montanabullet works.com/). He has two pp bullets in .45 cal at reasonable prices. Also has more info on PP. I' going to try his first before I try it on my own. Nope I don't have any connection, just a satisfied customer.

Welcome to the guide Buck!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Wlelcome to the guide Buck thanks for the link

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

GunLoad Trainee

Kodiak1, I hope you have your answers, I would just like to recap you can follow up with the reference sites given. First, the size of bullet for your Sharps is determined by the depth of your rifling. A lead ball or bullet should just ride the top of the lands. It should not drop freely through the barrel, it should easily be pushed through and just leave a slight etching on the ball/bullet. Once you have that dimension, get your bore dimension by slugging the barrel. The difference between the two dimensions tells you the thickness of the paper two wraps of paper on all sides so that is 4x thickness. Paper does compress but not much. So you have a range from onion skin or cigarette zig zag to 12 lb rag bond. Depending on YOUR rifling depth. Some like to semi glue the paper on the bullet others don’t. spit and egg whites in water are used, a little elmers works for me. You want the patch to fall away a few yards from the barrel or ride it to the target. And Crimps will cause you fits and make you grey. Most do not or if they do crimp very lightly. Crimping can deform the paper, the pill… Ugh. Hope this helps, and good luck. (Oh, If you want to try PP quick and dirty, use one wrap of freezer tape which is paper and sticks to the bullet). Read Matthews. JB
    Memger cast boolits since 2/01/2004

GunLoad Trainee

G'day
    Another downunder shooter here. I have for some time been preparing to reload Paper Patched Projectiles for Black-powder cartridges. Having read what has been said here, I have to agree with most of what has been said.
    Your best option would be to contact Wolfe Publishing and obtain a copy of Paul Matthew's "The Paper Jacket". I have read my copy many times and it contains all of the information one needs. What I have detected in most of Paul's works is that he is prepared to try different ideas to achieve his goals. A good source of paper 100% cotton is at Buffalo Arms Co. www.buffaloarms.com

What size projectile will work best with your rifle will only be found through experimentation. Some find that bore riders (close to interference fit) work better than loose fit (.447"). Two wraps of paper is the norm for the loaded cartridge where as a single wrap or strips can be used in muzzle loading rifles.

Paper patched projectiles will work with smokeless powder loads as well if Paul Matthew's experiments are correct.

I have shot the 577-450 Martini with paper patched pills some years ago and know of the cartridges d o k speaks of, these where Boxer manufactured rolled cases set in formed cups with a steel rim mainly pinned in place by the primer cup which is simular to the 209 shotshell primer.

I hope the above information has been helpful and please keep us informed of your efforts.

John

I had an order for some PP boolits so thought someone might find my method interesting.
    These are 650gn 50 cal pure lead
    Paper is 100% cotton fiber resume from office max.

They are run through a .512" sizer. You can see the base petals are pressed tightly and injected with lube and the patches are ironed on tightly. Maybe you cant see but there is a very thin film of lube on the patch. I have been doing it this way for 20 years and get excellent accuracy. Have taken moose, caribou, mule deer and grizzly, are ya ready for this carpetdude, all with one shot each.
    I have done this with many of my 45 cal grease groove molds sized down to .452" and patched up to .460".
    Have also dont it with a variety of other cals like 270/284 25/26 338/348 348/358 and so on.
    I offer patching as a service for .05 ea..
    BIC/BS

To All: This has given me lots of ideas and set me straight on a couple of other ideas that I had.
    Got paper and a patch shape design for cutting proper patches from Buffalo Arms.
    Found a 40 cal and a 45 cal paper patch moulds on Auction Arms.
    Got a ton of advice off of the Black Powder Cartridge Forum on Cast Bullets.
    So next is up to me and as soon as I get a little caught up its out to the shop to cast then down to the forbidden room of mystery to cut patch size lube and reload those priceless little gobs of lead.
    THEN and ONLY THEN it will be an afternoon at the range seeding those little silver boolits into the backstop at the range.
    Thanks Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

GunLoad Trainee

Get Col. E.H. Harrison's book 'Cast Bullets" from the NRA. It has a chapter on paper patched bullets. Great book too for a wealth of info on cast lead bullets. Alternatively, look into using teflon tape instead of paper. You just wrap the bullet in teflon tape, and run it through a sizer to set it. Sizer should probable be a tapered die that fit in your reloading press.

Bullshop,
    How do you seat a paper patched boolit without tearing the paper? Belling die?Do you crimp them? Are there tricks to get them to feed easily/properly?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451, 430gr and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. Then the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 55 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection?