Thread: Not reloading the 7-57 no more!!!

Default Not reloading the 7-57 no more!!!

Shot some S&B loads today through my 7mm mauser, man them funny looking bullets shoot good!!! {mabie they help with all that freebore}

I had sold a vz24 to a buddy with a $10 gunshow barrel. I told him to rebarrel it. He told me it shot reall good. For me shooting hornady 139gr bullets on a good day 4" was the best with flyers way out there. Mabie he was right.

Yep them S&B's out did my best handload, they were shooting around 1.3" out of a new 19 3/4" surplus barrel
    Toney Relic Hunter

Toney,

What weight are the S&B bullets?

My 1895 Chilean shoots the heavier 175 gr. bullets much better than the 139 grainers.

I think there 175grs, they was'nt in a box
    Toney Relic Hunter

I know the bullet your talking about .Damned if I can think of the weight though! There sometimes called the pencil bullet over here ! I take it there the RN ? These were what were first used in the 7x57 hense the freebore

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

These are weird looking has no taper at all with a little cone on top with a base not as big as the bullet more like a simiwadcutter weird
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    These are weird looking has no taper at all with a little cone on top with a base not as big as the bullet more like a simiwadcutter weird
    Yep Thats what we call a pencil bullet to seat them at the right lenght take a empty case & then cut the neck down to the shoulder on eithier side with a thin hacksaw so it has 2 slots & will expand & contract .Then place a bullet with the Base just inside the neck & chamber it in the rifle!Gently!!!!! Then remove the dummy round care fully & put it into you bullet seating die & then wind the seater punch down (gently ) until it just touches the bullet & then wind it off one third of a turn & you have the right seating depth as the bullet reaches the lands (or the Leade which ever school of thought you belong to ) & the bullet is then forced back into the case.Until the case is fully chambered. By turning the seating punch back a third of a turn your allowing for enough free bore!

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin