Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powders for the 308 Norma Mag

Default Powders for the 308 Norma Mag

Howdy. Anybody have any favorite powders for the 308 Norma Mag. I'm having a rifle rechambered for it . Looking for some good loads.
    Joe
    Moderator @ HuntingNut.com

My rifle likes Hodgdon 4831SC 70GRN under 150Grn Soft Point
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

GunLoad Trainee

Mine worked well with H4831SC. I think other slow powders will work also. The key to velocity with mine was a mag primer. Standard primers grouped as well but were much slower loads. Hope this helps

Howdy Kodiak1. I was hopin someone would say that powder it's the one I wanted to start with. There mostly compressed loads with H4831sc arn't they ?. I love Hodgdons extreme line of powders. Thanks for the Help.
    Joe

OH YES! a 30/338 good choice, even Rem. saw the potencial in the cartridge and chambered the 40X for it. Start watchin for 338 brass at the range!!! Theres a number of cheap surp powders that work good in such a case volume.
    BIC/BS

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

joe, yes they are but seem to really shoot good and seems fairly clean.
    Like I said mine loves 150 GRN's but it won't shoot worth a damn with 180's so we have to work on that this summer.
    Am going to try 5744 I really like this powder in what I have tried it in so will see how it works.
    Ken.

Howdy Kodiak1. Thanks for the info. I hope mine likes the 180gr bullets thats what I want to work on first. I'm gonna try the 180gr Barnes triple shock first. Do you buy Norma brass or use 338 brass?. I think I'm gonna go with the 338 brass and If I have any issues with it I'll pry my wallet open and pay for the Norma brass.
    Joe

Had bought 50 Norma brass should have bought a 100 back then but have since resized 338 tried and used some 300 Win & 7MM REm Mag they come out a little short but still work, They load and shoot that's all you can ask for and they are cheaper than the Norma Brass.
    Ken.

Howdy Kodiak1. Thanks for the responce. I tried 338 brass last night and it stopped sizing the neck about a 1/8 inch shy of the shoulder Is that normal for this procedure. I don't have my rifle back from the smith so I have no way to check if they will chamber. I got worried and ordered 50 cases of norma ( $57.00 OUCH )just in case. Does the other brass you mentioned work any better than the 338? Thanks for your help it's all usefull .
    Joe

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by shrpshtrjoe
    I tried 338 brass last night and it stopped sizing the neck about a 1/8 inch shy of the shoulder Is that normal for this procedure.
    Joe
    I can't offer any advice on the 338 brass. I lucked into a pile of 308 Norma brass several years ago. With my factory chambered Voere 308 Norma and my friend's sportorized Mauser the case's shoulder moves forward considerably after firing factory ammo or brass. After the initial firing if you can set your sizing die or neck size only so the cartridge headspaces on the shoulder you might see a remarkable improvement in the accuracy and with the extra powder space a little more fps. As with any wildcat there will be some variations in the chamber dimensions from one rifle to the next and it might not work for you. Mine seems to like the Sierra 200gr bullets with neck sized brass. It's a kicker but will drop a deer instantly. My friend claimed similiar results on Elk. I'm up at 4:00 AM and finally caved in and just took a sleeping pill. If you can send me an e or give me a reminder I've got some good loading data buried somewhere I can probably find tomorrow. My friend aided with a crony claimed Norma's MRP powder is the best. He claimed he could exceed the velocity of factory 300 Win mag. I'm reaching deep into my memory and might be way out in left field but I think he claimed could drive a 150 or 165gr bullet in excess of 31 or 3200 fps using MRP. MRP was discontinued in the USA years ago but I recall reading something on the net that it might or has come back on the USA market.