Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: question

Old Timer

There's a basic rule of thumb when determining whether to neck, or full length size.

If the ammo you are loading will only be fired in "one rifle", fired brass from that rifle needs only to be neck sized. This will correct for head space problems in that rifle.

If the ammo may be used in more than one rifle of that caliber, and you do not know which rifle fired it the last time, full length size.

There is no associated problem with what kind of action the firearm has, as it applies to how you size it.

Fired brass from a particular auto loader, when necksized, and fed again into the same autoloader, the round will chamber perfectly.

G'day & welcome to the site 30 Cal
    A Lee Classic would be a exellent choice For working with the larger cases . Now as it has been pointed out 600yds is a Bloody long way out with very little room for error of judgement ! I have shot for a living all of my working life (including a stint in the Army) I call 180yrds a long shot ! If I miss it costs me money . The way I read your hunting system in the US ,is that you are alloted so many Tags to shoot Deer, Elk,or what ever. So it would seem to me that every shot would have to be a winner!
    I would be keeping my shots nice & close .Plus the fact there is the old problem of range guestamation ,I've seen a lot, Of shots taken by Blokes over the years that They reckoned that it had been at least 400yrds,where in reality it was only 200-250.No they were't exzagerating ! They honestly belived that what they had shot was that far out & were suprized that it was not as far as they thought ! Hell ! I've done it myself on many nights!
    On the subject of sizing. I normaly only neck size & then full lenght resize every 6 or 7 loads or when the cases start to become sticky & then check case length as well ! For any Hunting that involes Large animals that can cause grevious bodily harm
    I full lenght resize just ot be on the safe side & chamber each round to make sure it functions through the action just to make sure !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

GunLoad Trainee

Default respnse

THIS ONES FOR THE NON-BELIVERS. I do practice once a week 3 rounds at 100 yards 6 rounds at 250 3-5 rounds at 310. YES You do have to practice considerablybut honestly after a while you get the feel of the rifle and understand that controlled breath and steadyness is the key I do use a scope and a range finder but you can only trust a range finder so far.I use calculations from my mil dot as well as a wind meter. No im not a irresponsible hunter if I dont think I can hit it I dont shoot. Alot of presses out there its all in the powder and seating depth full sizing is for auto and semi autos ,bolts should be neck sized only!
    You dont have to belive I just wanted some input.

GunLoad Trainee

Far as 100's of rounds goes a week that isnt going to do nothing for you if your a hunter havnt you ever heard of cold fire ?

GunLoad Trainee

If your afraid of your gun put it in the gun case and stare at it

GunLoad Trainee

I use barnes bullets for hunting they are very destructive.

GunLoad Trainee

dok ever shoot a kangaroo

Mosko,
    I've had levers, pumps, and semis that would only function with small base sized cases, even full length had difficulty feeding. This has not been the case with military actions like my Garand with more generous chambers, but with certain Remingtons (74's & 76's), Brownings (BLR's & BAR's), Winchesters (88's and 100's), and Rugers (mini 14's). Not every one of them to be honest, but enough of them to make it aggravating. If I'm loading hunting ammo for someone else, unless they are shooting a bolt, I always full length resize, and I have the sb dies in case there are problems. I will simply sell a rifle with a chamber so tight that it needs sb's, but there are a lot of them out there. I would love it if I could get away with neck sizing all the time, and for my own rifles, mostly I can.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Old Timer

Yes, I understand. Naturally if you're loading them for someone else, to neck size, you'd have to be certain that every case you loaded whould have to be provided by the person being loaded for, and that he / she had fired every one of the cases in the actual rifle that they were to be fired in again. It gets complicated doesn't it?

However, any rifle that fires a round, when the case is ejected undamaged, then necksized, and reloaded without altering the cases exterior dimentions, will fit perfectly into that chamber again!

After all, the chamber was used to "perfectly" size the case for that particular chamber. In another rifle the case may or may not chamber.

I get into this by having rifles, autoloaders, rolling block, bolt etc. that are one of a kind in my collection. Having only "one" weapon in some particular caliber, means that every case I have was fired in that "one" rifle. I find that the cases are perfectly sized for that rifle needing only neck sizing to hold the new projectile.

Full length sizing only means that the entire case will be resized to specs, (meaning slightly undersize) so that they will chamber in any rifle that caliber whether it has a tight spec chamber or not.

YMMV, but I have never had a problem using the above mentioned "rule of thumb".

Quote Originally Posted by 30cal
    Does anybody know how many diffrent rifles use the same bullet as the 308?
    Ok, lets see if I can remember them all!!! There are about 20!
    30 M1 Carbean
    300 savidge
    303 savidge
    30 herat
    30/30 winchester
    30/30 imp
    30/40 krag
    307 winchester
    7.5X55 swiss
    7.65 arg
    30/06
    30/06 imp
    300 winchester short mag
    300 remington short mag.
    300 win mag
    300 remington ulta mag
    300 wetherby mag
    30/378 wetherby
    And some others that I do remember right now.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)