Thread: Stainless Steel media for cleaning/polishing brass

GunLoad Trainee

Default Anyone else here use Stainless Steel media for cleaning/polishing brass

Does anyone else here use SS pins for that?
    Last edited by daddyseal; 06-08-2012 at 01:11 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Steel Pin for cleaning brass

I use SS pins for jewelry work. I would not recomend them for cleaning brass. SS pins or shot media leave a small amount of steel embedded in the surface of non ferrous metals. The media work hardens the metal, as well. Think of a thousand little hammers pounding on your brass. This effect is really noticable on sterling. It hardens the metal quite a bit and leaves a finish that look more like stainless steel that silver.

Steel medias needs to be ran very clean using strong detergents (except for magnetic polishers). The dirt from your brass would most likely be embedded in the surface, also. Don't waste your money on such expensive media is my advice.

Smile Cleaning with Stainless pellets

My Frankford Arsenal Vibrating Tumbler gave up the ghost so I spent a lot of research on the best method. Decided to go with Thumbler Rock Tumber, 5Lbs stainless Steel, Water and Brass Polish (got RCBS Sidewinder Liquid for the first batch but will try others). All I can say is outstanding results. Cleaned Black Powder 45 Colt and 12 Gauge Brass from Starline that were to say the least really corroded. They are now cleaner and shinier than new inside and out as well as primer pocket. Research says there is no affect on the brass like Fastfire believes. I am sold.

Let's bring this one back up to the top.

I had two vibratory tumblers die on me over the summer and wanted to replace them with a very large one. I'd used my old Midway 2092 from the early 90s and really liked its capacity. Looking at the prices of what's comparable and available these days led me to give stainless tumbling a look.

I bought my stainless media setup about six months ago, and all I can say is that the results are outstanding. Brass is cleaned inside and out, and even the primer pockets look new.

The downside is that you have to use water and you have to rinse everything at the end of the cycle. Trying to keep those iddy-biddy stainless pins from getting away from you can be tricky. Then you have to dry your brass. Using a large magnet is helpful in keeping the pins under control, or at least reclaiming the ones that get away.

One thing I like about this method, other than the outstanding results, is that there is no dust in the air as a result of brass tumbling. Primers are made using a compound known as lead styphnate, and who knows how much of it floats around in the air when all that dust comes wafting out of a vibratory tumbler.

If you're in a position that you need to do something about your tumbling equipment anytime soon, take a look at stainless media. You may decide it's not for you, but you owe it to yourself to check it out.
    Last edited by RiverRider; 02-14-2014 at 02:00 AM.
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

Tumbling brass accounts for most of the lead exposure a reloader (and his family) experiences, though not cleaning hands and/or eating/drinking/smoking while working will also get you a sizeable blood lead level quickly. Casters that wash their hands do not have any problems, lead does not vaporize at the low temps we cast it at. Airborne lead oxides and dust-borne from primer residue is where we get exposed. No dry tumbler, no poison dust in the air. Sealed wet systems eliminate all exposure to particulate airborne lead. Then the only residue is on your hands, and if you keep them clean it can't get into your body. I've been loading close to forty years, around 500-1000rds/month, and have been casting pistol and rifle bullets inside my home for over thirty. I have had my blood checked yearly and have never ever had a measurable level of lead in it. I am blessed however to live in a climate that does not require regular cleaning of brass, not all are that lucky. Despite that, I have friends around here that insist on cleaning cases in conventional tumblers. Every one of them (and those who live with them of all ages) have measurable lead levels in their blood. For those that must clean for climatic reasons rather than for vanity, "Go wet, young man" (or something like that).
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775