Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New moulds turned up today!

Default New moulds turned up today!

I had a New set of moulds turn up today (Kind of off set being in hospital for most of the day ! Old cry get out of Pro hunting your wearing yourself out ect ) There a Lee mould which is unusal fr me as I normally only use CBE or RCBS . The last set f Lee moulds I used was for a .458 cal .I'd ordered a 405 gn & the box read 405 gn but there had been a mistake & I had a 378gn mould .Not that this fazed me at all
    as I figured that what ever I was shooting wouldn't no the differance. The problem was that the screw holding the spruce cutter tore itself out of the mould after about 50 bullets! But as they say if first you don't succeed (give up & smash the Bloody thing !!!!! ) Try ,try again . So I'm looking forward to having a quiet day(Bloody Doctors ) casting .As a matter of intrest the mould is a C312-185-1R I'll let you know how I get on with it
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Yep it sucks trying to figure out just how much you can do, and get away with. Day before yesterday i ate a hole can of mixed nuts working on the nagant sporter {17oz wal-mart can} was sick as a dog all day yesterday.

Them lee moulds, after around 900 bulets i thought mine was junk! But after finding cast bootlits i'm dropping nice shinny pretty bullets!!!

To bad about your new mould Dave, I hope you get to feeling better!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

So dok, what's up with your new acquisition ?

kg

Dave, I have decided I'm allergic to hospitals. I really like my doctor, but I see her in her office. The local hospital's main attraction is the list of famous people who have died there. I do not plan on being one of them. In fact, I will drive (and have several times) several hours in serious pain before I let them do anything more than stitch me up or take xrays. I hope you can successfully avoid yours for a good long while.
    Strange though, I just got the same mould delivered yesterday. My 309-180 drops them at .308 and I figured it would be easier to have one I could size down before I tried to open it up a bit in case I get carried away and screw it up. I have good luck with Lee moulds, but I am always careful to knock off the sprue just as soon as it sets and not wait for it to harden too much. One of the guys on the CB board said he never hits his sprue cutters but just wears welders gloves and pushes them off by hand. It got me to thinking how, and I reasoned that the only way was not to wait as I had been doing for it to harden up fully. It worked great (also on my steel moulds), increased my production rate by at least 1/3, virtually eliminated "sprue lumps" on the bases, and saved a lot of wear and tear on my moulds. Lees make for inexpensive experiments. If they work then I look for a Lyman or RCBS in the same general profile and weight range, except the soup cans (I don't think there's a better .30 cal boolit anywhere if you get one that drops them big enough).
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

must admit that I'm finding these New Lee moulds quite pleasent to use as I'm using the Glove methord to remove the spruce ! It would seem that after a lif of hard living the old Heart has decided to start to protest & give up some of it's ,Hard work ! The medical Proffestion told me several months ago to give up work ! I've cut back a little & am trying to limit myself to around 6 hrs per night .Though I just did a 17 night stint further up north ! My Family have chiped in & brought me a Sat phone & a Emergencey Beckon that emits your location to a saterlite if I get myself into trouble ! They must reckon I'm gettng to old for this caper I think.

Dave

Hell Dave, none of us are getting any younger. But as long as the spirit is willing, a smart man can make use of modern technology to make things easier on the body. If electric winches and lifts are used to prevent overdoing things, and you are honest with yourself about what your limits really are (not what they were 20 years ago) you should be able to enjoy your work until you are ready to retire. Maybe if the next generation is interested, you could phase one or more of them in and let them do the grunting while you provide the experience and pass on more of what you know.
    I, on the other hand, stupidly refused to face the reality and am paying the price (it takes two friends and an ATV to get me up the mountain to my deer stand, and I have to have a babysitter with me when I go bird hunting in case I fall and cannot get up). Help was willing and available when I blew out my back, but I was in too much of a hurry/too proud to walk ten feet, stick my head in through the door, and ask for it. If I had been smarter, I would have taken a little time and thought about ways to get around my limitations instead of trying to bull my way through things as I had always done. But, like they say, hindsight is always 20/20. It is not a defeat to realize and accept new limitations, it is a challenge to find new ways to do the things you want to do, and a victory when you get them done using your brain instead of brawn. I can't cover twenty miles in a day of hunting anymore, but I can still get out and hunt - we just had to get creative to figure out how. (I can plan it and load all of the ammunition for everyone.) I get just as much satisfaction out of sitting quietly on the side of the mountain watching and listening, and I have time to really pay attention to what is going on around me and notice the things that were always there, but that I had never paid attention to before.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I feel your pain! Mate! I've slowed down over the last couple of years I must admit ! Had a Old Mate & mentor call in tonight for a Yarn as it's to damn wet to be out there tonight & I'm having a couple of days off ! His going to retire this year after 60yrs as a Pro shooter ! Between the two of us we decided that it's getting to the point that we should just become Grumpy Old men & sit back & let the younger Blokes have a go ! I rekon maybe another 5yrs will see me out of it once & for all !

Dave

Dave you will be hunting till you drop you old cuss. Just take it easy. I now live where I always wanted to, mountains, streams, great hunting and golf course and have a back that lets me walk about 200 yards before it says enough. Guess it is time to see the Doc.

Take Care, missed you in the chat room by a couple of minutes.

Take Care

Bob

Yeah, doctors..... I got much better predictions about my case by reading a thread like this one .
    And work... aren't you tired of the job market being filled by young idiots, just because they still can jump when the boss says so ?
    And by being called, sometimes, to fix their goofups?

You guys take care, we've got the best hobby in the world and it can sweeten many of our later years .

kg

dok rent the movies again!!!! It would be fun for a while but if you have been doin it that long you woulkd get boared and have to do something even if it is stealing candy from kindergarden kids!!!!!!!
    Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...