Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velocity is overated!

Yepper and that's why I like the 7-08,308 and such for woods or short fields.If im hunting fields around woods and might be able to take a shot at 300 or more,i pick up the 7mag,6.5mag or whatever that I know will hit what im pointing at.Well,all of us miss because the 257mag damn sure didn't kill the 13 point I fired upon last year at 500 something.That was me and the rifle hit a 12 pack pop box shortly after I MISSED.Fast and flat is what I like for certain things.

Elk you do not count. Out west of course you either like or need high velocity. The ranges you shoot I would want all of the help I could get. Now you want to talk about wind doping?

Well John, the faster and heavier the bullet the less the wind bothers it. And out here, wind is a real consideration LOL

Mark you can pick on my 30 30 all you want to. Just leave my 06 alone. It has killed everything I wanted killed for over fifty years. Of course my longest kills on deer have been about 225 to 250 yards shooting from my swamp stand.

I am going to set up 200 and 250 yard targets this spring.

I'm with Mark & Pickle, I like speed, and I think speeds helps get the bullet there faster and flatter. I love the Weatherby slogan: "Weatherby, nothing shoots flatter, hits harder, or is more accurate" However, with that being said, I've killed more deer, hogs, and varmints with my Ruger Mark Model 77, Mark II, than with any other rifle I own. I like the fact that its light & easy to carry, but it sucks to shoot it out of the bench. LOL!
    Last edited by PARA45; 03-16-2014 at 05:46 PM.

j1, those 30-30s are so slow I watched in the scope as the flies took off from the deer and got 2' away before the bullet hit

Sorry Dave I`m NOT going to disagree, as a matter of fact I agree........They don`t use the old reliable .303 in the Full Bore for nothing.............

Hey Mark did you ever meet Roy Weatherby? Not joking you once mentioned that you arranged hunts for famous people. He surely was famous, and a famous hunter. Not joking now either. Not too far fetched a guess except that he was far older than you.

Para do you think that I am as dumb as I look? Don't answer that. Of course speed is important thats why you used a Weatherby instead of your 06 in Africa. You were shooting some big animals.
    Last edited by j1; 04-28-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Afraid I never met the man. I have done a fair amount of Exec. Protection for the hollywood types and political folks but never a gun guy. Tom Selleck was closest to gun guy I ever had been around. I would liked to have met Roy and Elmer but no such luck. Mark

Still flipping back and forth over velocity. It must be good. My 17 HMR kills with almost pure velocity. Those little pills do not weigh much at all. They only weigh 17 grains. They sure do work though.

Hey Hell my 30 30 never met a deer it did not like or kill well. Of course having hunted for many years I limit my range. I like my 30 30 very much. Light and handy. Single shot Contender.
    Last edited by j1; 03-25-2014 at 10:10 PM.