Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new K-31

Default My new K-31

As some of you may or may not have heard I got myself my first military surplus rifle, a nice old k-31. I got to pick the nicest one of all 4 and I got a nice one with a nice shiney bolt, no chips it the stock, a nice dark stock,and nice blueing. I was all done with school today and was ready to go shoot it and it was to cold (-45° with a hi of -35 in the sun at the peak of day)!!! I was mad but got over it, and will hopfully get to go shooting before the year is over!!!!! I got some ammo so when I get a chance I will post the results on this thread.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

I forgot to ask, do any of you know where I can get a sporter stock for the K-31?
    Thank you.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ Got to get me one to
    Toney Relic Hunter

At -50° (it is warming up now) I got kinda bored and went into a gun sporterzing frenzie and went to work on the k-31. I was going to do one of two things, either get the dents out of the stock or camo it out. The getting the dents out of the stock takes is taking all the finish off of the stock, so I decided to camo it out. I will post pictures of it when it is done drying, which it is doing right now. Pictures can explain better then I can. Because it is almost always snowing here I made it a snow camo for coyote hunting.
    Hope to post pictures later.
    DANIEL/ BS JR.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 01-29-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Old Timer

Well junior, for a 1st milsurp, the k31 is as good a choice as you can make, in my own opinion! The ammo is not as cheap and available as the Russian, or Mauser rifles, but I think you'll find, whenever you get to test it, that you've made a fine choice.

I would like to recommend to you, that the M1911 long rifle as well as the k11 Swiss are excellent rifles as well.

Once you get acustomed to firing the old "Swiss Misses", you'll develop a feeling where you won't be without "a few", ever again!

Enjoy the K31, and please let me know how your experience worked out after you've had a chance to get to the range.

Also, I might recommend, that you brush up on the general info about the Swiss rifles. I think you'll find that while at the range, the uniqueness of the Schmidt Rubins will bring a lot of questions from other shooters on the firing line.

mosko,
    I will not have to worry about finding ammo for it. we own a small ammo and costom bullet casting bisiness, and I load my own ammo. If you want to know more (mare) about it go to http://www.bullshop.gunloads.com/
    DANIEL/BS JR.

Where's that pic?
    Toney Relic Hunter

Good luck to you Dan . Loking forward to seeing the stock finnish! I think if I was going to do a cammo job over here it would have to be Red to match the landscape round here at the moment ! 100Degs + at the moment ! It's that hot I was watching a dingo chasing a rabbit ......& they were both walking

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Question

d-o-k,
    How cold does it get there in the winter?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

DRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably won't get to shoot it until August!!!!!!!!!!! Right now it is -35°, and mom said to cold to shoot, but not to cold to go get fire wood.
    WHEN I do get to test it, I will be testing it with:
    http://gunloads.com/modules.php?name...unloads&did=71
    I submitted the load. We shot it in a couple of other k-31s over the summer and it went right to the sights out to 300 yrds, which is all the way across the gravel pit. I will be shooting it alot when it finally warms up!! We built a shooting house across the road, and can shoot out to 200 yrds if we can get up a nice big berm.
    Well I have to get fire wood,
    DANIEL/BS JR.