Thread: Sight in targets 2012

GunLoad Trainee

Default Sight in targets 2012

These are from my Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 from a couple of weeks ago. She is topped with a Redfield 3-9x40 variable. All with the same 100 yard zero.

First one is Federal Fusion 165 grain at 100 yards.

Second is Federal Premium Sierra® GameKing® BTSP 165 grain at 100 yards.

Third is the same Federal Premium at 200 yards.

I shot the 200 yard target just before the range was closing for the day so I didn't have any time to adjust to the right a bit. I didn't want to touch the scope without having a chance to shoot to ensure I got her set right.

I just ordered some dies so I can roll my own and hopefully cut the group size down a bit.

Wise

That Vanguard should be shooting a lot better than that. I helped a good friend of mine sight his in and groups were much tighter. How much time are you leaving between each shot? Looking at the 100 yard groups it seems you get a couple close together the shots walk to the left. Second thought is that Redfield scope. It it one of the new Redfields made by Leupold or one of the original Redfieds that haven't been made in years? No matter as my first thought was barrel walking due to too little time between shots. My friend's rifle was capable of one inch groups with 180 gr. Remington Corelocts.
    Your 200 yard group could be a bit smaller but not too bad. I came to the conclusion many years ago that if my rifle shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards CONSISTANTLY, then anything smaller was just gravy. Naturally gravy is always better. Much better.
    I know how hard it can be to fire a shot then have to wait for the barrel to cool a bit. Most of my load work is done in Arizona's summer months and it takes a goodly while for a barrel to cool when it's 110 in the shade. The good part? Pressure shows up much sooner when doing load work ups. Any load worked up to max in that heat is more than safe come hunting season.
    FWIW, I've found that the 180 gr.bullets , round nose or spitzer, have always shot better in my 30-06 rifles, even in the custom with a 1 in 12" twist.
    I guess I should mention the usual suspects like loose stock screws or scope mount and rings screws being loose but I think I'll still with the barrel walking as it heats up. If you have the patirnce, try firing one shot, waiting 5 minutes, then another shot, wait 5 more and so on and see if you get a really good group. A real PITA but that would eliminate that as the source of your problem or pin point it as the problem Give it a try.
    Paul B.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.