Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt rifle bullets

GunLoad Trainee

Ok have another thought rossi makes these rifles in a variety or calibers such as 44mag and 454 casal the 44mag producing 36,000 psi and the casull at 65,000. The 45 colt is only 14,000 if the rifles are all made from the same process [or are they ?] than will the 45 colt in that make and model hold a higher presure to produce a flatter round. Dont worry i dont try this things until I have educated myself some may call it thinking outside the box. I call it just a thought what if or why?

yes it will.
    my 44 mag 240 gr cast boolit,model 92 load is 19.3 grs of 2400.
    my 45 colt 250 gr cast boolit model 92 load is 19.3 grs of 2400.
    the 92 is strong enough.
    the trick is to make sure one of those loads don't end up in one of my 45 colt usfa's.
    not a problem with my 44 revolvers though.

the 454 casull and 480 ruger versions are designed and built arund those higher pressures like the differences between model 86 and 71 are which are scaled up and modified 92 actions.

GunLoad Trainee

0k I have another thought rossi makes these rifles in a variety of calibers such as 357mag,44mag,45colt,454casull the 357, 44 and 454 having a higher pressure than the 45colt. These guns SHOULD all be made with the same process or standards is it safe to use a higher pressure load in the 45colt, will the frame of the gun handle it. Dont worry I dont experiment with these things unless i have researched it. Call it thinking outside the box. I call it just a thought, curiousity.

GunLoad Trainee

sorry for the confusion I was looking for my first question and didn't see where it had posted so I asked the same question again. Thanks.

GunLoad Trainee

Got a 454190 mold and a 454 sizing die loaded and tried a few with 19.5 of h110 but it was getting dark and nobody to man spotting scope. So hopin to try again soon this is a silouette rifle maybe even hogs any suggestions on accurate loads for up to 100yards maybe even 200. Have read where guys are using the 45 colt for deer but they are using 300 gr bullets.

that h-110 load sounds a bit low to me.
    i use 19.3 grs of 2400 in my 45 colt rossi's with a 250 and it's up there.
    but that 110 load just don't sound right to me.
    h-110 really works best when at full throttle,and can cause issues if you use too little.

GunLoad Trainee

Ok im back 45colt rifle load workin great i stepped up to 22.5 of h110 and also 8.5 unique for a lighter target load. Now i have a new project my wife and i bought my boys a nef 45colt 410 survivor rifle for christmas and the tweak on this is the chamber is long enough for a 410 so the 45 has some air time before it reaches the rifling therefore loses pressure and some accu these two loads work ok but lacks a little on being AS accurate. Done some research and found that a 444marlin case can be resized to the same dia as a 45lc and this gets the bullet a lot closer to being where it should be to be politicaly correct and i have a 444, extra cases,and unique load data that would be safe in this gun. Any suggestions?

GunLoad Trainee

The 444 is a pretty long case and would have alot of empty space with either if those loads, that may cause pressure problems? A guy might try Trail Boss, maybe? I would just realize that that gun isn't really designed as a tack driver and enjoy it as just a "fun little gun".

Yes, that is correct. Usually you buy the mold and hope for the best, playing with the alloy if it is a bit on the small side, and selling or trading it if it isn't large enough. The cherries (cutters used to make the cavities) are initially cut to drop the listed size with #2 alloy, and they get a tad smaller with each sharpening, so there is a range of sizes a mold might actually drop at despite how it is listed. BTW, 18bhn is fine for target bullets, but way too hard for hunting or self defense.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

do you load 350 grain cast for your 4570 and if so what powders and charge weights.