Thread: Berry's Platted bullets

GunLoad Trainee

Default Berry's Platted bullets

Hello,
    I would like to load Berry's 45 cal. round nose 230 grain platted bullets useing Hodgdon Universal powder. I have checked several of my reloading data books but they do not have very good information on Berry platted bullets. The platted bullet is not a full metal jacket nor is it a lead bullet and the information in my reference books is for either a FMJRN or LRN and the amount of powder varies a lot. I have loaded Berry's in a 9mm RN, 40cal FP, 45cal FP but the info on those calibers was pretty much straight forward. Can anyone help me out. Thanks.

Wise

I haven't loaded any myself but from what I understand you can use cast bullet data for the same weight bullet. Sadly the Lyman #49 manual has no data. However, the Hornady Manual #8 shows for Clays and their 230 gr. swaged lead bullet a start load of 5.2 gr. for 750 FPA and a max load of 5.7 gr. for 850 FPS. That bullet is pretty soft so the data should be good.

The Speer manual #14 has data for the RCBS 230 gr. cast bullet with a starting load of 5.2 gr. for 748 FPS and a max load of 5.5 gr. for 837 FPS. Those figures should put you somewhere in the ball park.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks Paul, that's good information. I think I will start with 5.4 grains and go from there. Berry's just came out with a 185 grain hollow base round nose platted bullet that I might try. I have a new compact semiauto pistol that jams when I use FP platted bullets (reloads). But it did well with RN factory ammo. That is why I was going to try 230 grain RN reloads. Thanks again Paul.

when dealing with plated bullets i go by velocity.
    keeping them under about 1,000 fps to begin [the 45 acp isgenerally in the 850 fps range]
    and working up cautiously watching for signs of stripping the plating.
    for your powder working up from those numbers is a wise move i'd bet you find a good somewhere near 6 grs give or take .02 grs.

GunLoad Trainee

I reload Berry's both for 45 ACP 45 Colt and 9mm. Here is the instructions from their site:

"Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

My max load for 45 ACP is 5.0 grns W231 seated to 1.225. This is mid-range jacketed. If you are going to shoot the HP's they seat much shorter due to the shape. My 9mm 124 Berry's HP's are seated to 1.060 with 3.8 grns of W231 or 4.8 grns of V V340.

Hope this helps.