Thread: 444 loads needed

Default 444 loads needed

I am looking for cast loads for the 444 using a 300 gr cast bullet and 2400 powder, or reduced loads of RL7. I am looking for 1200- 1400 fps range. I am estimating 18 to 22 gr of 2400, or 32- 35 gr of RL7, but would like info from one who has actually used some.
    Remember the Starfish

That's a lot heavier than is usually loaded for a cast bullet in the .444, that's why you're having trouble finding data. This is another round where the cast and jacketed loads with rifle powders overlap.

Nice to have a goal, but I have to say that it's the rifle itself that will decide what velocity it will (or won't) stabilize any given bullet. Based on experience with my brother's Marlin with cut rifling, you are probably going to see best cast accuracy between 1600 and 1800fps, a bit faster than you indicated. For cast, it liked 240gr best, and didn't like heavier bullets as well whether they were cast or jacketed, but every rifle is different. I tried bullets between 200-300gr.

The three best powders in this rifle out of the dozen or so I tried were IMR3031, IMR4895, and RL7, with both light and heavy bullets. You can drop the jacketed starting load by 10-15% and work up a grain at a time until the groups tighten or the barrel begins to foul. (RL7 36.0, 3031 35.0, 4895 42.0) Don't try it with any ball powder though. Heavier bullets and heavier charges are no fun at all in this light rifle - I used a Past Magnum for all bench testing.

I would NOT use a very hard alloy, no harder than WW's, and I would make extra sure they are sized large enough, .432-434". Gas checks should not be necessary especially with 300gr bullets but that, too, is up to your rifle.

Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook has a bunch of pistol powder plinking loads, but nothing with 2400, or for anything heavier than 260gr. You don't see many cast rifle loads that use 2400, at least in medium capacity cases. I don't know why, but I suspect it yields either erratic pressures or inconsistant accuracy. No reason not to try it to get your rifle's opinion though (it's the only one that matters), but I can't find any safe data to give you for it.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thanks. I am using a Handi rifle that is dedicated to cast loads, it has a 1/20 twist rate. I am trying to shrink the number of powders I use. I use 2400 in 357, 44 mag, 22 Hornet already. I use a slightly harder than ww alloy, or ww quenched. The speed range is what I am striving for, a little faster or slower don;t matter, I know from experience that a 250 gr 44 @ around 1400 will zip right through the biggest deer ever made with no problem. I use 20 gr with a 245 429421 Lyman and good results, but I came up with a 300 gr mold that throws good bullets.
    Remember the Starfish

1-20 isn't that kinda slow.
    for some reason i think that is what was used in the 44-40.
    it would also bear out versifiers observations of needing the higher velocity for better accuracy.

the standard twist was 1-38 for the original 1964 models. It is not the weight of the bullet, it is the ratio of the length to diameter that dictates twist . I have 245 gr loads with 15 gr of Blue Dot that are 1.25 " @ 75 yards, which are about 1200 fps. My full power loads are 46 gr of 4198 and a 240 gr HP .
    Remember the Starfish