Thread: 338 win. mag.

GunLoad Trainee

Default 338 win. mag.

I have a 16 inch 338 win. mag. barrel for my encore and all the loads I can find are for rifle rds. The only problem I have is the waste of powder and the muzzle flash. With the slow powders used for rifle I can start fires fifty feet away.
    The best load so far is 55grs. of IMR-3031 of 60 grs. of IMR-4895.
    Any help would be nice

Rick

Would you consider shooting a cast bullet? You don't generally push a heavy cast bullet much over 2000fps, so reduced charges with extruded powders like IMR3031 and IMR4895 are ideal for it. The mould and sizer would pay for themselves after several hundred bullets.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

I have a Lee mold for a 200 grn. but no loads for faster powders

Go over to Cast Boolits and do a search. I'll see what I can come up with for data.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Wise

A .338 Win. mag. in a 16" barreled handgun? That's gotta he some kind of fun.
    The following is cast bullet data from the now long out of print RCBS cast bullet manual.
    Bullet is the RCBS #33-200-FN. Actual weight 208 gr.

H414 start: *43.0 gr./1897FPS Max: *46.0 gr. 2003 FPS.

IMR4064 start: 41.0 gr./1961 FPS Max: 43.0 gr./2060 FPS

SR4759 Start: 27.0 gr./1808 FPS Max: 29.0 gr./1930 FPS

Unique Start: 17.5 gr./1582 FPS Max: 19.5gr./1747 FPS

Green Dot Start: 15.0 gr./1447 FPS Max: 17.0 gr. 1618 FPS

Red Dot Start: 14.0 gr./1361 FPS Max: 16.0 gr./1559 FPS

* They used a CCI 250 mag. primer.

Data was shot from a Winchester M70 with 24" barrel, 1 in 10" twist Winchester brass and CCI standard primers except the mag primers with H414.

That should give a few powders to try.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

These will be fantastic for cast shooting. And some of them look like fun.
    What I am looking for are loads for jacketed bullets in the 200 gr class that I can use for deer to elk size hunting.

I shoot rifle loads in it now but the flash could start fires 50 yds away. I want to get the same volesities without the flash.

Wise

"I want to get the same volesities without the flash."

Unless some kind of miracle powder comes on the scene I just don't think that's gonna happen.
    The only T/C product I have is a Contender with a 30-30 barrel which I rarely shoot. IIRC, I used 30.0 gr. of W-748 and don't remember any flash but then it's probably been about 4 years since I shot the gun. All it gets used for these days is as a demo piece in the Hunter Ed class I teach. Too much arthritis in my 74 year old paws, I'm sad to say. W748 is a double based powder and while it's in the same general burning rate as 3031 and the 4895s,I thik there might be more muzzle blast and bright flash from that one. Personally, I think if accuracy is OK that 3031 jst might be the way to go.
    I have all the latest loading manuals and there is absolutely nothing in any of them for a round that big. I am thinking that with that short a barrel and the large amount of powder that cartridge takes that you're going to have a lot of muzzle flash and blast. My one best suggestion is stay away from the double based powders. They may give you more velocity but with increased flash and bang.
    To give you an idea of a "wrong" powder, for years I hunted with a Remington 660 with 20" barrel. My pet load was with a stiff charge of H335 and the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter. TYhe report from that rifle was louder than my .416 Rigby and the ball of fire that shot out from the muzzle was brighter than the sun on a mid August day at roughly high noon. The concussion from the muzzle blast was such that people would move as far away from me when shooting at the range.
    Actually, I think the powder is completely consumed in the first 2 or 3" of the barrel and what you're seeing is those super heated gases igniting when they hit the oxygen rich air outside the barrel.
    What I think I would try if I were you is contact Hodgden and ask them what they think would work best for you. After all, they just about control all the powders for handloading these days.
    I've flat run out of ideas. Sorry.
    Paul B.

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks Paul
    I hunt all of the time with my Encore pistol. Last year I used my 15 inch 308 Encore in Arkansas for deer, got one of them at 225 yds.
    I used 47.5 grs of H335 and a 147 bullet.
    I would like come up with a H335 load with a 200 grn bullet, I will keep playing till I find something.
    Rick
    PS. I have good friends in Tucson and get down there every couple of years.

Wise

"PS. I have good friends in Tucson and get down there every couple of years."

Well, if you do, stop by and I'll make you a cup of my "nasty" coffee and we can talk guns.
    Paul B.