Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22k hornet

GunLoad Trainee

Default 22k hornet

Anybody shoot this cal? I been shooting tis out of my contender for 4yrs now.With my reloads this ggun off a reat will shoot one hole groups at 50yrds all day long. At 100yrds this gun will shoot under 3/4 inch.

Wise

I shoot the regular .22 Hornet from a Ruger #1B. It's almost like shooting a .22 long Rifle from that fairly heavy rifle. So far, all I've shot in it has been Winchester factory ammo. It will stay within .75" at 100 yards from the bench on a good day. A good day BTW is when the wind isn't blowing 15 gusting to 30 MPH or higher. I have several Ruger #1 rifles in various configurations that are decently accurate. I'd shoot it more but ammo ain't cheap and I'm trying to build up a supply of brass.
    I only have one single shot pistol at the moment. A T/C Contender in 30-30 Win. I haven't shot it lately due to arthritis at the base of my right thumb.
    I would convert that #1 to K-Hornet but that model has a bit of collector value so I'm going to leave it as is.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

I reload and use h110 & lil gun with hornady 40gr v max bullets. i HAVE A BUNCH OF LOAD DATA.

GunLoad Trainee

I just got a 10" contender, have not loaded for it yet. I have been thinking about reaming to Khornet. I have a good assortment of jacketed bullets on hand, 2400, 296, Little Gun and power pro 300mp. Will try pistol and rifle primers, see what happens.

GunLoad Trainee

Hi okie44 I use small pistol primers my groups are smaller. MY 22K at 50yds will shoot 3/8 groups all day long off pistol rest. 100yd groups are at 3/4. I didnt have any brass lost when fire forming. My brass have at least 10 reloads now My barrel is 14 inch you will fall in love with this little hot rod Dan lawecki here

Not really a single shot, but back in the 1960's I had a"S&W K-22 Masterpiece in .224 Harvey K-Chuck", if I remember correctly.
    This was a very accurate revolver, and I could typically take squirrels with that pistol at some really amazing distances, using a tree or limb rest and doing my part.
    However, anything less than a head or high shoulder shot sometimes got messy.

I once took a sitting fox at a distance of 120 "paces"....long paces in fact, and it was a neck shot that broke his spine. I was aiming right at his head / face with a full bead, and it hit just below his lower jaw. A quick reflex jump and he pilled up almost exactly where he had been sitting.

At that time in my life I had a rifle in .22 Hornet, which was a single shot, and that pistol. I can honestly say, I can't recall any more pleseant shooting than what I got from that pair of guns.
    Wish I could go back to those days.

Russ
    Last edited by RussB; 07-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Walk softly........and carry a big ol' smoothbore.

Wise

"Wish I could go back to those days."

Not to hijack the thread but me too. Before I left Nevada in 1979, I was bale to literally go out an shoot something every day or night depending on what shift I was working. I miss being able to do that down here.

To get back on track though, there have been a few times when I thought about rechambering my Ruger #1B Hornet to the K-hornet but that particular rifle has some collector value as Ruger didn't make a whole bunch of them in the Hornet.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Unhappy .22 K-Hornet

Built one on a "Small Martini" receiver,with a .22 target barrel, Rear stock from an Enfield Kit, custom forearm and topped it with a Weaver V-22 2x6.

Digger squirrels and crows quaked at the sound of my name...

Needed money and sold it to a guy at work...

my newest contender barrel is a 18" custom shop K hornet , still putting the kit together to load for it ,the BBT should be here any day now and i can begin in earnest i've read about the hornets and K hornets for years yet the right deal never crossed me until a couple weeks back , oddly enough i had been going to bigger and bigger calibers and booms before this deal came up , the guy i got it from was sorta sad to see it go and said it was a shooter , i've got a few cast for it as well as a variety of jacketed bullets ..and wouldnt ya know it , when i finally got one everywhere online has no brass [doh]

GunLoad Trainee

Check Cabela,s on line for Hornet brass. Fire form with 9grs of H110 you,ll not lose any brass with this load. I,ve formed 500 brass this way with 0 lost. R&P brass Have fun Dan