Thread: powder

GunLoad Trainee

Default powder

Hey all, is there a powder i can use to load both rifle and pistol, I would like to load both 30 30, and 38/357mag, thanks HC

Welcome to the Guide.

Not unless you cast your own rifle bullets, but that's no way to learn about loading. I would (and did) start out with IMR3031 for rifles and Unique for handguns. Neither may be the favorite powder for your guns, they will do the job for those rounds quite well. Over time you will try others to see how well they work and as you begin to load for more and different cartridges, but those two will get you started in the right direction.

You will also need to buy copies of at least two current loading manuals. Think of it as the best deal on life insurance you can buy.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks for your reply, I do cast my own bullets for the 30 30 170 gr .309, and plan to cast for my 357 in the near future, IMR 3031 is the powder I'm going to start with, not sure about the hand gun, I do load my own shot shells and slugs, thought I would give this a try. thanks

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I do cast my own bullets for the 30 30 170 gr .309, and plan to cast for my 357 in the near future, IMR 3031 is the powder I'm going to start with, not sure about the hand gun, I do load my own shot shells and slugs, thought I would give this a try. thanks
    IMR3031 and W748 are excelent powdes for the 30-30 for full power loads. You might find that they will work for near full power to full powder loads with your cast bullets as well and they work just fine for hunting deer. At last count I've taken 17 deer with my home cast bullets which I size to .310" as that size works much better in Marlin Micro-groove barrels. They work just fine in Winchester barrels as well. I load to 2000 FPS for my cast hunting loads. My hunting bullets are cast from staright wheel weight metal with a small amount of tin added to aid in mold fill out.

For the .357 Mag., you can get a fairly decent load usining Unique but for full power spit and git, I prefer Alliant #2400. W296/H110 are just different lots of the same powder but I detest the very loud sharp muzzle blast when using that powder. The bright flash from the muzzle is also a bit distracting, especially in dim light.

Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

If you cast your own, you need a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook which has all kinds of loads using both pistol and rifle powders. There are way way too many loads in it to list here, and the additional information about casting in it makes it an invaluable reference for every caster and cast bullet shooter.

But 3031 is still the goto powder for the .30-30, cast or jacketed. RL7 and 4895 aren't too shabby either. All three are excellent choices for cast hunting loads in any medium capacity (.30-30 to -06 size) case. For the .30-30 and .35rem you can use published jacketed loads for the same weight bullet. Start 10% below JSTART if you want, you can often more than one accuracy node in the test ladder with cast bullets. If you want the reduction formula to figure cast loads for .308 & -06 capacity cases, let me know and I'll post it again.

You will find light target loads in Lyman for the .30-30 using Unique and other fast pistol powders, too. My casting for rifles is all pretty much hunting oriented, so I don't have much use for the plinking loads.
    "Stand your ground.

as a side note ... many pistol rounds can be loaded with shotgun powders ,perhaps not the best choice but for plinking rounds and if you already have it ....... as noted the cast bullet book has lots of possible powders and data and time spent studying it can help narrow down what maybe the best possible powder for your use(s)

GunLoad Trainee

Default rex3 powder in 45acp

what does rex 3 compare with ,maybe some where between unique and herco,or is it slower burning? going to use it in my 45acp with 250gr cast bullet,1911 model, colt comander 4.5" barrel,want to start low,and work up,but not to low,looking for 760 to 800 fps,I do this now with 5.3grs of unique,but have alot of rex3 powder,and rex0,by the way 3.2 of rex0 and bullets from 215 to230 shoot very well around 1" at 25yds,low recoil,and 100% function,standard 1911's,at least the 3 I've tired.

Welcome to the Guide GSO.

I have never used any Rex powders. They are not listed on my burning rate charts or in any of my manuals, even the most current. Perhaps some else has some info for you.
    "Stand your ground.

with 3.2 grs operating a 45 acp i'd say it was substantially faster than unique.
    even bullseye uses @ 4grs in the 45 acp [airc 4 was the original 230 gr ball load]
    i'd be using bullseye or faster data with it.

Grunt

2400 will work in all three but you can not get full potential from the 30-30 with it .