Thread: load data 270 win,130

GunLoad Trainee

Default load data 270 win,130

getting a new rifle in 270 win. would like to asked about your loads?
    will used a 130gr. Sierra SP or Nosler BT ? THANKS

50 sum grs of rl-19 i don't remember the number but the wifes girls and b.i.l's all liked the load.
    accurate and dependable.

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    50 sum grs of rl-19 i don't remember the number but the wifes girls and b.i.l's all liked the load.
    accurate and dependable.
    Probably the most used go to powder for the .270 Win. is H-4831. Worked great in my first .270 back around 1973 and if I hadn't found something better, I'd probably still be using it. Not liking the PITA of literally having to hand weigh each charge I went to a ball powder called WMR. I got more velocity and better accuracy by a small amount than from H4831 with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King. I like that bullet better than the 130 gr. bullets because they buck the wind better and do not mangle up as much good eating meat. I found even the 130 gr. Nosler partition to be more destructive than I really care for so use either the Sierra bullet mentioned or the 150 gr. Nosler. The bad news is Winchester discontinued that powder about ten years ago. I do have a decent supply though.

H4831 made it reputaion in the .270 when it was still a milsurp powder. today there are two versions of 4831, the IMR which is a bit faster burning and the H (Hodgden's) which is supposed to be slower like the original. There are other slow burning powder today suitable for the .270 but I've only worked with the ones I mentioned.

The last animal I shot with the Sierra bullet was a 120 pound Antelope that I'd stalked to within 75 yards. The 150 gr. Sierra doing 2950 FPS at the muzzle hit the antelope in the third rib back and exited just behind the right shoulder. Entry wound was about a half inch and the exit wound 1.5" tops. The antelope went in about a thirty foot half circle, laid down and expired.

I'm thinking that if I ever went back to a 130 gr. bullet, it would be the Barnes TSX. The TSX bullet has proven to be decently accurate in my .257 Robt. which has never done any better than 1.25" anyway and extremely accurate in my .35 Whelen and that one did a serious smack down on a cow elk in 2010. That Whelen will do .50" to .75" depending on how well I'm shooting that day. I have some 120 gr. and 140 gr. TSX bullets tor try in my 7x57 Mauser and .280 Remington. Both rifles are very accurate custom guns so I'm expecting some very good results.

Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

Paul B. THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!
    I HAVE A GOOD SUPPLY OF IMR 4350 AND H-4831 SO I'LL TRY BOTH FIRST,
    HILL COUNTRY RIFLES IS FIXIN ME UP A CUSTOM 270 WIN. BUT WON'T GET IT TILL
    JULY . I USED A 700 30/06 WITH 150gr AND 165 gr. SIERRA AND HAD GOOD LUCK WITH BOTH.
    DEER ARE NOT THAT BIG IN TX. SO THE 130gr. TO 140 GR. SHOULD DO...
    TELL ME HOW YOU LIKE THE WHELEN AND IN WHAT RIFLE?

Louis M

Wise

"TELL ME HOW YOU LIKE THE WHELEN AND IN WHAT RIFLE?"

I think that if a cartridge could walk on water, the Whelen just might do it. I've been playing with the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen for more than a couple of years now but only got a chance to shoot something with it in 2010. I did a cow elk hunt in New Mexico and took the Whelen and a Winchester M70 in .300 Win. mag. as a back up. We jumped the cow at about 100 yards and I shot her as she ran off quartering slightly to the left. I hit het at 150 yards just behind the short ribs and the bullet exited between her neck and right shoulder. t the bullet strike, she went down so fast and so hard that she bounced. In all seriousness, in over 54 years of hunting, I have never had an animal go down so hrad or so fast in my life.
    The rifle is an Oberndorf Mauser 98 custom. it wasn't made for me, but was picked up at an estate sale. When I picked the rifle up, it fit me so well that it might as well have been made for me.
    My first .35 Whelen was a Ruger M77 tang safety that I bought about ten years ago. It's been on one elk hunt here in Arizona but not used since primarily because I can't seem to draw a tag. Got bumped again this year, DAMMIT!
    Then I got the Mauser mentioned and for some silly reason when I found a Remington 700 Classic in the .35 Whelen, I bought it as well. I've only killed paper with that one.
    My pet load for the Mauser is 60.4 gr. of RE15 and the 225 gr. barnes TSX but I strongly advise starting at least 5.0 gr. below that and very carefully work up as it is well above anything I've seen in any manual. I gaurantee it to be safe only in my rifle.
    I did take the Mauser on one deer hunt about 6 years ago, again the last time I drew a tag in my home state, and had loaded the Barnes TSX load mentioned. The area to be hunted is considered part of the condor flyway and it was requested we use the ll copper bullets on a volunteer basis. I only saw one shootable deer and he was standing in the middle of a bunch of does. I could have shot him all right but that Barnes bullet would have passed clean through him and taken out a doe or two. Unfortunately Arizona Game & Fish frowns upon such happenings so I couldn't take the shot. Never saw another legal deer to try and take.
    The Mauser and I will be off to New Mexico again come December to try and take another cow elk for the freezer. I'm down to a few pounds of hamburger and that's all that's left of the one I got in 2010.
    If you go to this site, thee's a couple of interesting threads on the Whelen including one dealing with long range shooting. http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/index.php You might find it interesting.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Grunt

I also had good luck with IMR 4831 under a Sierra 130 gr SBT in a Remington 760 it would shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. ( 3/8")