Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing Cast for Rifle ???

GunLoad Trainee

Question Sizing Cast for Rifle ???

I have a Marlin 1895GS 45-70 and I am wanting to shoot some 405g Hard Cast that I have in it.

I have slugged the bore and it is between 0.457 and 0.458. By the reading I am getting would say it is close to 0.4573

The commercial bought 405g LFN BB that I have mic between 0.458 and 0.459 and I would say they seem to be at very close to 0.4586

I have not used cast for anything other the light low cost plinking loads for revolvers, and accuracy was not at the top of the list. These I hope to work up for a deer load in the 1500 to 1600 fps range. Accuracy and consistency is important. I have read for most having the cast bullet oversized one to two thousands works well. What I am not sure about is that I have also read that sizing for the throat is important. Please advise.

I took two of these hard cast today and 'bumped' them in a press and got them just shy of 0.460. I do not have a sizing press or punch so once I 'bump' one of these I have to live with it for now.

My question is ... should I shoot as I have now or should I bump some up and try them.

Also I am planing on using Hodgdon's Benchmark ... anyone with experience with this powder would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

...pick...

Welcome to the Guide, pick.
    They should be worth a try. I wouldn't bother "bumping" them as you will not get a consistant size. "Bumping" is a handy technique when you need to slug a bore and don't have anything oversized to use, but not to prepare bullets for loading if you expect any consistancy or accuracy. Throat measurements apply to revolver cylinders, not rifle/pistol barrels.
    I don't use Benchmark, so I am no help there. For more info on powder selection and loads, you ought to try next door at CB. 45-70 is a very popular round with cast shooters and you will find lots of folks there who can steer you in the right direction.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Hello Pick I have never used benchmark either in the 45-70.
    I think your bullets will work just fine. I have to use the .458 casts in my 11.7 X 51R and it is just under .461 and they bump up fine.

Good Luck Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks fellas

I have load up five sets with the 405g WFN BB as is with Benchmark.

48g
    49g
    50g
    51g
    52g

I hope to shoot them this week and will report back.

Any pointers to watch for I would not be offended

Shoot 5shot groups, not three, and shoot at least two groups for each charge level in case you jerk the trigger accidently and get a flier or two. When in doubt, use the biggest backer for your target you can find as the POI may be very different from the POI for jacketed bullets. You can still measure the group as long as you keep your point of aim, no matter where it lands on the backer, even if it misses the target completely. You are looking for groups sizes, not bullseyes.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Just out of curiosity let me know how them badboys buck.

Thanks Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

with the 45/70 a .460" boolit will be more acrurate. Did you cast the boolits, or buy them? what is the BHN?
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

My #1 Ruger 45-70 likes a 385 or 405 gr. plain base cast med hard, about 15 or so BH, over 22 gr. of 2400. I agree with whoever said shoot 5 shot groups to tell you what the load is capable of. I size to .459. Not a shoulder buster, but think it will take anything in the lower 48 within range limitations.
    1Shirt!

GunLoad Trainee

Mate
    I use this projectile in my .458 win mag size them to .459, I had the sizing die made at a local machine shop and use the rock chucker press to do the sizing. I use wheel weights dropped into water and drive them at 2150 fps with no leading, I use ar 2207 here in Oz

Wise

Those bullets should shoot just fine although the ones closer to .458" will probably lead some. It all depends on how hard those bullets are. When I cast a bunch of bullets for my 45-70 Ruger #1, I usually size them at .459". One of these days I'll be looking for a sizing die at .460" to try and see if there is an improvememnt.
    When I had my marlin 45-70, I shot the Lyman #459122, a nominally 330 gr. hollow point bullet over 17.0 gr. of SR4759 with a tuft of dacron to keep the powder close to the primer. From the Marlin, velocity was around 1600 FPS and groups were right at 2" which is about as good as I can do with my old age eyeballs.
    Velocity was the same from the Ruger #1 but as it is scoped, groups were a more satisfying 1.5". Recoil was moderate in the marlin which was an early new model with a curved buttplate that make the kick seem to be a lot worse that it really was, Recoil was mild in the Ruger. I recently bought an RCBS 400 gr. mold but haven't made up any bullets from it, at least not yet. Right now it's way too hot to cast bullets anyway.
    I do my reloading in a shed in my back yard and even with an oversised A/C unit, it still hotter than the hinges of Hades this time of year. Then, when I'm throwing powder charges, I have to turn it off anyway or the scale goes bonkers.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.