Thread: Rifle Sling slipping off shoulder??????

GunLoad Trainee

Default Rifle Sling slipping off shoulder??????

Any tips please how to overcome this problem? My solution at the moment is to have a double sling over each shoulder, but this is not ideal in stalking and needing to get the rifle in a firing position on sticks quickly. I've tried a large button sewn onto shoulder of jacket - didn't work too well!

Hi, and Welcome!.. so how wide is your sling?? Picture?? The real wide or heavily padded slings will move(by design) there center-line too far out onto your shoulder. I don't let my "Cobra" slings get any wider thn 2 1/4"

The other thing is..How smooth is the backside of your sling? I sell all of mine with the flesh side staying rough...but I do see a lof of guys sewing suede to the backs of slings.

Welcome to The Guide.

Try a neoprene sling, they're inexpensive and they don't slip. It depends a lot on not only what the sling is made from, but also what you wear as a hunting coat, and how long and heavy the rifle is. Epaulets can help and are the traditional solution, but I have never really needed them with my rig. Generally I have found suede leather stays put on my wool coat fairly well, nylon is the absolute worst. I have an old Bianchi suede cobra style sling that I've used on all my hunting rifles for longer than I care to contemplate and I have no need to fix what works.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

i think i paid about 10 dollars for some bob allen slings.
    they have a generous neoprene area and a thumb loop,and a small area of spandex that gives the sling some stretch and bounce.
    i have found that with some rifles turning the sling around and carrying Bbl down will lock it to my body.
    i always have a cover on the bbl [usually a water baloon or some black tape]
    and flip up see through scope covers,i also wax the action,bbl,bottom metal and scope housing.
    i also degrease the bolt and trigger group in white gas,and add no grease or oil back to them.
    this keeps the rifle up and going through dust,mud, snow,rain, ice and very cold weather.

Wise

There was an article by either Phil Shoemaker or the late Finn Aagaard addressing this problem. Whoever it was used some kind of rubberized boot repait stuff but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. Didn't look very pretty but apparently it worked. You might try silicone caulking in a ccolor that comes as close as possible to matching the sling and see if that works. That way it won't look quite as ugly as the black suff the writer used.
    OK, I looked it up. The stuff was called SHOO GOO and the article was by Finn Aagaard. I think he got the idea from Shoemaker.
    I have no idea where to get the stuff but I guess you can find it through Google.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Have had the wife sow a button on the shoulder of the jacket (on the outside) that the sling is on and the button holds the sling on my shoulder.

Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...