Thread: A old 223 case and a pocket knife.

Default A old 223 case and a pocket knife.

This I made myself and works very well.

Have you ever taken a 22 out with round nose ammo, and shot a rabbit? The rabbit will usely run around the tree a couple of times and then fall down dead right? Then you take out a flat nose or H.P. and the rabbit will fall dead as soon as you pull the triger, right? Well I made a tool that I can fix that with. I took a old 223 case and cut it off at a place that if you take the ammo and put it in the tool the the tip just sticks out of the one side. I take my pocket knife and trim of the tip of the cartridge so it is flat, that makes the ammo a whole lot more deadly. Then I can take a drill and a bit and drill the flat part so there is a big H.P. in there and that litte bugger is explosive!!! I also sometimes just tack a normal H.P. round and drill the H.P. out bigger and that is also very explosive!!!

If you want I can post a picture.

DANIEL/BS JR.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 12-16-2005 at 05:16 AM.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Thumbs up

Yes, I'd like to see a picture of it. Sounds like a simple solution for a common problem. Foster makes a neat little hollow pointer attachment for their case trimmer, but I doubt if it would hold a rimfire case. As soon as I can get over to do some work on my friend's lathe, I'm going to make one that will fit on my Lyman trimmer.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by versifier
    Yes, I'd like to see a picture of it. Sounds like a simple solution for a common problem. Foster makes a neat little hollow pointer attachment for their case trimmer, but I doubt if it would hold a rimfire case. As soon as I can get over to do some work on my friend's lathe, I'm going to make one that will fit on my Lyman trimmer.
    Versifier,
    I will try to post you some pictures soon, we will be gone tomorrow and then Sunday is church. I will also post some pictures of the cartridge before and after trimming the nose.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Great Ideas ! As Kids we used to buy solids ,for our .22lrs (as they were a hell of a lot cheaper & then we would cut a cross in the nose about 1/8 to 3/16 of a inch Deep to help em expand ! These new ideas are the way to go ! They make life easier ! Now . As a Young Pro shooter we used to get .303 exmil ammo on the cheap .So it was a case of a set of side cutters & take about 1/8inch off the Nose (Yeah DUM-DUM em) ! Mind you many a New chum learnt the hard way that taking too much off left the jacket stuck in the Barrel So as they always say ...........Do'nt try this at home These men are /were Proffestionals! This was back in the Late 60's -early 70's & PH's had been doing it for years before as Good Ammo was hard to find Down here (esp good reloading componants)

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Versifier;
    I have one of those Forester HP deals, been sitting in a box for 15 years or so now. It is almost impossible to get it to drill a HP in the center of the bullet. Besides drilling holes with a case trimmer just isn't what a trimmer is designed to do, it gets OLD real fast.
    krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

GunLoad Trainee

Krag35
    You just saved me 20 bucks. It's on the wish list for my next order. Been looking at one for a long time and thought if Forester made it, it must be more ligitamate than it seemed.

Thanks
    Secondhand Bob

I make HP`s out of lead core FMJ`s all the time because they are cheaper & we can`t hunt with FMJ`s here has to have a exposed lead bullet.