Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are premium bullets really necessary?

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
    Sorry Paul, I said I was not trying to be sarcastic.........
    I knew that. I just wanted to clarify what my circumstances were on that particular hunt. It was a somewhat strange hunt anyway. The deer was headed east when I shot him. He turns around and heads west and I shot again. He then turned back east and I shot once more and he then goes back to the west. It was almost like a wierd dream, like a live deer in a shooting gallery that wouldn't fall down. Well the last shot that broke his neck finally finished what was turning out to be a nightmare. I was beginning to think I was gonna lose that deer. Funny thing, as big and as old as that der was, he was so tender you could cut him with a fork. The rut was just getting started and his neck didn't swell up or no other signs that he was getting ready to breed. His teeth were woe down to the gums and I'm thinking that he would probably not have survived the coming winter. I probably did him a favor.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Yep some strange thing can happen on a hunt HUH..........

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
    Yep some strange thing can happen on a hunt HUH..........
    Ain't that the truth.
    Paul B.

GunLoad Trainee

For hunting, I've killed all manner of deer, elk, coyotes, prairie dogs and jacks with the cheapest bulk packed Remington, Winchester and blemished bullets I could find for reloading. The animals didn't seem to care......they just died.

Even for target shooting, if you sort according to weight, they do pretty well too. Used to bang a 12 inch gong at 800 yards real often with an old Springfield 06 with these bullets using a Redfield reciever sight.

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by mjones1579 View Post
    For hunting, I've killed all manner of deer, elk, coyotes, prairie dogs and jacks with the cheapest bulk packed Remington, Winchester and blemished bullets I could find for reloading. The animals didn't seem to care......they just died.

Even for target shooting, if you sort according to weight, they do pretty well too. Used to bang a 12 inch gong at 800 yards real often with an old Springfield 06 with these bullets using a Redfield reciever sight.
    Well, for the most part so have I. I've already stated what my results were so I won't bother going over that again. I am of the opinion that if your muzzle velocity is 2800 FPS or less, there really is no need for an expensive premium bullet. I do think that if the animal is a large one, say elk on up or a Black Bear, maybe one of the tougher bullets just might be more appropriate.
    I'll be playing with some of the 120 and 140 gr. Barnes TSX in my 7x57 Mauser and .280 Rem. customs in the not too distant future. especially the 7x57. I'll probably use that if I'm lucky enough to draw tags for antelope, deer and elk this year. I might use the .280 for antelope but it's way too heavy for any serious high country deer or elk. It's a true plaind rifle.
    Paul B.

Soitanly as the three stooges used to say.

Good question. My mind keeps changing with my mood. Mostly not but sometimes yes. 257 Weatherby yes. 30 06. No, and I do not even
    have a 257 Weatherby. Never used premium bullets in my 300 Weatherby though.
    Last edited by j1; 03-13-2014 at 07:37 PM.

I've shot deer with every kind of copper jacketed bullet you can think of. Besides a slew of traditional Cup and cores, I've also used Boat Tail Hollow Points, Bronze Points, Silvertips, Ballistic Tips, Ballistic Silvertips, Partitions, SSTs, Accubonds, etc. The Partitions had a tendency to blow off the front part quickly and then plow all the rest of the way through with a small wound channel. I wasn't impressed.

The Accubonds, on the other hand, made a huge impression. They really do make a huge difference. And they are accurate, too.
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain

I agree with you Doc. I started loading Hornady Interbonds in my 300 wsm and never thought I needed anything else. I knew the bullet would hold together no matter what part of the deer I hit or what angle I was shooting into. It gave me a level of confidence when hunting and they are very accurate. I also got some 90 gr scirocco for my sons 243 because most 24 cal bullets tend to be light jacketed varmint bullets. Those sciroccos are tough and would allow a less experienced hunter to hit a shoulder and still anchor a deer.

BB

Siroccos performed well in 264 RLB #4. But I only managed to find one box, then after that I could not find any for a long time, and then they were sky high.

I got started with the Accubonds with some factory seconds that really blew me away with their performance. After that, I watched Nosler's factory seconds site for specials and stocked up in several calibers (.257, 6.5mm, .277, 7mm, .308 )
    "I often wonder if the world is being run by smart people who put us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it" - Mark Twain

I have tried to use the Nosler partition bullets and I just could not get the accuracy out of it and went back to a Sierra Gameking.