Thread: 6.5x307

GunLoad Trainee

Default 6.5x307

any of you guys have any info on this round?? any help will be appreciated Doug
    a armed man is his own master

Welcome to the guide canon6. I have'nt heard of this one but would expect it to be a lot like the swed 6.5-55.

I really like shooting my 6.5 jap, hardly any recoil at all
    Toney Relic Hunter

GunLoad Trainee

Default 6.5x307

Toney thanks I have used thre 6.5x55 for about 15 years I want to build a single shot for this cartridge.. Doug

Hey Doug what kind of rifle are you planning on building? Why not the 260rem you could use 308 casses
    Toney Relic Hunter

Default .259? .261? .260r?

Rimmed cases really do make life easier in singles and doubles, don't they? It wouldn't be a difficult job to take a H&R or an Encore in 260 and open up the breech to hold the rimmed case. Sounds like an interesting project. Dies are readily available, as are .307 shell holders, and you don't have to be a research scholar to find plenty of good loading data.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Default 6.5x307

thanks guys I am using a NEF ,I thought about the 260 but it works at much higher pressure than I want to go,,again thanks Doug

The NEF (same as the H&R) action is strong enough for the conversion, but it might or might not be practical to rechamber depending on what the current chambering is. What is it? Or are you contemplating having a new barrel made for the action? www.ottllc.com is a place to check out that rechambers NEF barrels. The .260 is the rimless version of the wildcat 6.5x307, all critical dimensions except the rim are the same, as is the loading data. They are both based on the .308 case like the .307, and the four rounds all work at the same pressure levels.
    Convertng from a .260 barrel on any lathe would take about 5 minutes to set up and about 2 minutes to cut the rim. The extractor modification could be done on a milling machine, but one could do it by hand with a file in at most ten minutes. It might require annealing the part then retempering after, but I am not sure how hard the part is, so it may not be necessary. If it is, you can do both operations with a propane torch - air cool after annealing - and then you need some motor oil to quench it in when retempering after you resize it to the new rim diameter.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775