Thread: 7mm rem mag

GunLoad Trainee

Default 7mm rem mag

Hi I am looking for some info on reloading some 7mm 170 grain silver rn open back tips for the rem mag how /if I can with out melting the lead out of them before exiting the barrel it is a remington 700 heavy barrel the tips came out of 7mm mauser with black powder loads

i am thinking these are cupro nickel.
    the open backed exposed core is not an issue never has never will be.
    most full metal jacket handgun and rifle bullets are open backed.
    thats why during and after ww-11 guys used to turn them around and use the base end first for hunting, the silver ones you have have a jacket that is too hard and wont work this way.
    if you can melt even a smidgen of lead out of the back of one of them, you need to cut that bbl back to under 100 yds long and need to stop using 200 grs of flash powder.
    just use a starting load for a bullet that weight or slightly heavier and you will be able to use them.

now if they are solid lead [cast] and have a plain base try 8 -10 grs unique, or some 2400- 16 grs would be a good start, you won't get much over 1300 fps before problems arise.

GunLoad Trainee

Thank you I haven loaded any was afaid of messing the gun up this will help me out once again thank

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by byers26 View Post
    Hi I am looking for some info on reloading some 7mm 170 grain silver rn open back tips for the rem mag how /if I can with out melting the lead out of them before exiting the barrel it is a remington 700 heavy barrel the tips came out of 7mm mauser with black powder loads
    I'm confustigated. If I understand you correctly you have 170 (?) gr. full metal jacket bullets from som milsurp ammo. Is this correct? You should be able to use them at full power with one caveat. Thse bullets are most likely to have cupronickel jackets and they will foul the crap out of your bore. To check to see if the jackets are cupronickel or steel, put a magnet to the bullet. If it sticks, it's a mild steel jacket. If not it's cupronickel. It takes a very powerfull ammonia mix to emove cupronickel from a bore. If the jackets turn out to be mild steel, then you can shoot them up to full power. FWIW, every round of Norma ammo I've used, 6.5 Jap, 6.5x54 M/S and .257 Robt. has had a steel jacket. Some were left in the original steel color and some, my .257 Robt. ammo has a copper wash but a magnet still sticks to the bullet.
    Oh, and one more thing. AFAIK, the 7MM Mauser has never been loaded with black powder. It was developed in 1892 for Spain and was a smokeless powed round from the start. It's a round I've played with and studied for onver 40 years having acquired my first 7x57 back around 1973 or 74. I currently have three, a custom FN Mauser, a Winchester M70 Featherweight and a Ruger #1A. It's one of my favorite cartridges.
    It'll be interesting to see just what material was used in the jackets of those bullets.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

Well paul I'm not the smartest person on reloading I have only been doing it for a coupl years manly handgun just now geting in to the riffles so any info given I do consiter and think about thnks I will let you know what I find out

GunLoad Trainee

Well paul those tips do not stick to a magnent

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by byers26 View Post
    Well paul those tips do not stick to a magnent
    Then I think those jackets may be cupronickel. That stuff will foul a bore badly and be an outright bear to clean up. it took the use of very strong ammonia to get that stuff out of a barrel, even if velocity was kept to original 7x57 levels. I dunno if using something like Sweet's 7.62 solvent would clean that up should you shoot it. If you want to shoot them, keep the velocity as slow as possible. Maybe the following will help.

STAIRSTEP LOADING THE MAGNUMS
    From HANDLOADER MAGAZINE #44 July-August 1973---Article by John Wooters

.300 Win. Mag.
    Bullet Weight: 30-06 .308 WCF 30-40 Krag 30-30
    150 gr. 62.5 gr./4895 60.0 gr./4895 56.0 gr./4064 45.0 gr./4064

180 gr. 57.0 gr./3031 55.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

7MM Rem. Mag.
    Bullet Weight: .280 Rem./ .284 WCF/7MM Express 7x57 Mauser
    140 gr. 57.0 gr./4320 54.0 gr./4895

160 gr. 52.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

175 gr. 51.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4320

.358 Norma Magnum
    Bullet Weight: .350 Rem. mag./.35 Whelen .358 Win.
    200 gr. 59.0 gr./4064 53.0/3031

250 gr. 56.0 gr./4895 54.0 gr./3031

.458 Win. Mag.
    Bullet Weight: 45/70
    400 gr. 42.0 gr./4198

Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

It's interesting to discuss reloading techniques, especially with cupronickel jackets. Have you experimented with any unique reloading methods or encountered similar challenges with specific bullet jackets?