Thread: Crimp on 45Colt

OL' REBEL

Default Crimp on 45Colt

I bought a 3 Die Lee set and I am crimping with the seater die. Would I be better off seating the boolit with the seater and buying a FCD to do the crimping?
    Senator, We have a saying down South, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

depends upon what you're shooting ... a cast boolit can actually be swaged down using the factory crimp die if set too much , yet with the regular seating/crimp die the roll crimp can be adjusted as desired and while too much can mess up the crimp groove part of a cast boolit it wont swage down the rest of the bearing surface like the carbide factory crimp can , if your shooting jacketed it shouldnt matter as long as you're crimping in the cannelure , the FCD is more of a post loading case sizer IMHO as their blurb states "for ammo that must fit " , so if your loads fit now then no sir it's not needed

OL' REBEL

Default Much Obliged Fryboy

Thanks for the advice Fryboy. Very informative and covers all my questions
    Senator, We have a saying down South, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    depends upon what you're shooting ... a cast boolit can actually be swaged down using the factory crimp die if set too much , yet with the regular seating/crimp die the roll crimp can be adjusted as desired and while too much can mess up the crimp groove part of a cast boolit it wont swage down the rest of the bearing surface like the carbide factory crimp can , if your shooting jacketed it shouldnt matter as long as you're crimping in the cannelure , the FCD is more of a post loading case sizer IMHO as their blurb states "for ammo that must fit " , so if your loads fit now then no sir it's not needed
    I agree wholeheartedly!! The Lee FCD is NOT needed

Doc

GunLoad Trainee

Default .45C loaded as 3 or 4 wad-cutters

The pellets would be pressed together, and final-fit behind a standard crimp. Total bullet weight might approach but not exceed a standard .45C single bullet. Powder-tables will be closely followed. Using copper-flashed steel-cases from Silver Bear. Any thoughts? Advice? FitO.

other than stating to use steel cases at your own risk no sir , well the standard start small and work safely up also applies

I believe you'll find those steel cases have Berdan primers (two flash holes) and are not designed to be reloaded even with the correct tools.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775