Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to get the boat ready

GunLoad Trainee

Krag35 what are the small fish with the sturgeon in Astoria 2005? Great pics there. I confess to ice fishing a lot more than summer fishing. Gianni.
    Front sight and squeeze

MT Gianni They are Starry Flounder, gooooood eating. I'm taking my Daughter up the end of May to fish Astoria again for 5 days. Will be her first real overnight away from home, fishing trip. I haven't ice fished in years. We don't get safe enough Ice here localy to go out on it much.

I was headed to the lake with my boat and Daughter a couple weeks ago, it was <20 F . Some feller at the gas station asked (jokingly) if I was crazy. Seemed kind of a silly question to me, he had snowmobiles on a trailer behind his pickup.

krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks and good luck out on the water, Gianni.
    Front sight and squeeze

Toney, I used to live in the Claremore and Chelsea area(81-87) and enjoyed the lakes and streams in the area. Caught "sandies' below the dam and up the creeks of Lake Oolagah, lived on Winganon road that crossed the middle of the lake several years. The property we had there had a pond of a few acres, with lots of bass, crappie, blegill and catfish. Caught strpers below Keystone and paddle fish on the Neosho. I contracted installation of boat lifts for Hydrohoist in Claremore for several years, working on most of the lakes in Oklahoma as well as coast to coast and from Saugatuk, Michigan to Jacksonville, Fl. Portland, Oregon to Lake Mead, Nevada. How I wound up in a place as dry as the panhandle of Texas is a convoluted story. We do fish some in some farm and ranch ponds, mostly bass and goggeleye, but where water is this scarce, it is generally overfished. My 14' john boat hasn't been in the water since I moved here 15 yrs. ago. My three middle sons live in SW Fl. so we do get down there to fish now and then or go to Texoma and hire a guide. Do miss the days of grabbing a rod and running down to the lake, maybe when I get this last one raised life will slow down, and the wife and I can get back to serious fishing.

Krag 35, I hear those sturgeon can get really big. Saw a picture of a Blue catfish taken from lake Texoma that went 123 lbs. and a alligator gar I believe from south Texas that went 175. My personal best on rod and reel include flathead catfish 45lbs. Largemouth (non-florida) 7lb. 9oz. Crappie 4-4. Paddlefish 63(you snag these, and when hooked in the middle in fast current can stretch your string). Channel cat 9. Garfish 15.Bowfin 6. Striper 27inches (didn't weigh it) Guadalupe bass 2-6oz.(large for this species) Hybrid bluegill 3. Fresh water drum 12. I enjoyed all equally, as well as a host of salt water spiecies thrown in. Gives me the itch to be "gone fishin"