Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these two powders the same thing?

GunLoad Trainee

Default Are these two powders the same thing?

I'm getting ready to work up some loads for my 25-35 Winchester, and find there's not much load information out there. The Lee reloading manual lists this powder:
    A-XMR-4350. I have IMR 4350 in the shelf. Are these the same?

Thanks for any help!

Pat

nope , they are designed to be in the same burning speed ( ditto h4350 ) but the charge weights between all of them vary , every powder company has some limited data on their website , in my humble opinion the powder is too slow for most loads with the 25-35 and a slightly faster powder would give better results , it's only listed with the heaviest of bullets in this caliber and even then is a compressed load , the starting charge could be tried and then safely worked up or down as needed ( this will depend upon your skill in interpreting the fired round/cases and reading pressure signs ) but in some cartridges out of the 3 - 4350's some take less weight and other's more and it does vary

I found when loading for 25-35 in Winchester Model 94 carbines using the Hornady 117 grain round nose interlock bullet that Accurate Arms 2520 powder was the most accurate in several guns, worked well in a 1921 26" octagon barreled rifle also.

the xmr i'd suspect is a ball powder, all the others iv'e got from them have been.
    so you may be able to fit a bit more in the case.
    but i'll second the faster powder 4895,4064,2520 type stuff. you should be able to use a lighter charge with them also.

it's actually one of accurate's few extruded powders ( most the number equivalents are , 2015 being the break off one ie; 2015,4064,2895,4350, and 3100 was but is discontinued), in the mid 90's accurate was a bit more economical than most other powders , that assured i tried quite a few ( including the equivalents of many powders i use a bit of ) it is very close in performance to both 4350's ( and h414/760 ) perhaps it was just the guns or loads i tried it in but imr seemed a lil better than the hodgdon's or accurate's as far as group size goes in most calibers i tried it in , of the 5 flavors h414 is my fav ( ball powder meter's so well !!)

http://www.accuratepowder.com/produc...9&product=4350
    "Accurate 4350 is a short cut, single-base, extruded rifle powder in the extremely popular 4350 burn range. A highly versatile powder, 4350 can be used in a wide range of cartridges from the popular 243 Win to the 338 Win Mag with excellent results. Accurate 4350® is an exceptional choice for the 6mm Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem and 300 WSM. This short cut extruded powder meters accurately, resulting in excellent shot-to-shot consistency. Made in Canada."

http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle.html
    "The number one choice for the new short magnums, both Remington and Winchester versions. For magnums with light to medium bullet weights, IMR 4350 is the best choice."

http://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html
    " This Extreme Extruded propellant is a burning speed that has been known to shooters for decades. During that time, Hodgdon has modernized H4350 by shortening the grains for improved metering and making it insensitive to hot/cold temperatures. H4350 is ideal in the WSM family of calibers (270, 7mm, 30, 325). H4350 is the standard in such cartridges as the 243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, 270 Winchester, 338 Winchester Magnum and many more. For magnums with light to moderate weight bullets, it can't be beat!"

on hodgdon's burn rate chart they are numbered as follows

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
    112. imr 4350
    113. h 4350
    115.acc 4350
    so out of the 3 it seems to be the slower one ( 760 and h414 were #'s 108 & 9 respectfully )

GunLoad Trainee

Wow! Thanks for all the info, guys!

So the takeaway on all this is that the imr which I have is a faster-burning powder than the accurate brand, but not a great deal faster, and therefore should be okay to give a try in the 25-35? Did I understand this correctly?

None of the three "4350" powders currently available from the three separate brand names are going to work well in a 25-35. All of them are too slow burning. You need a faster powder in the 2520, 4895, 2460, grouping for best performance in the 25-35.

Quote Originally Posted by patti View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all the info, guys!

So the takeaway on all this is that the imr which I have is a faster-burning powder than the accurate brand, but not a great deal faster, and therefore should be okay to give a try in the 25-35? Did I understand this correctly?
    with the heavier bullets for it yes , not so much with the lighter bullets , as unanimously noted 4350 is best with slightly overbore capacity type cartridges ( which the 25-35 is not ) , it will work ( safely worked up of course ) but is far from an ideal propellant for this use , 4350 is also about the burn speed that reduced loads arent often recommended for , 4350 is about the beginning of the edge of what is deemed slow/slower powders and a medium speed would be more suitable

also on a burn rate chart the numbers can and do swap positions depending several factors such as case size, primer used,neck tension has some affect even.
    they are close but not the same, and can and do change position.
    so don't take burn rates as anything more than family groups of powder.

GunLoad Trainee

Okay, that all makes sense. The 4350 powder was listed for the 117 gr. bullet; the one I'm casting is 100 gr.

I'll go to the burn rate charts and do some learning. Thanks for the information -- it tells me where to start learning.