Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumbled Brass With Live Primers OK?

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by BigOtto View Post
    Why are you tumbling primed brass? Not trying to bust your tail or nothing, just wondering. I tumble before priming. but that's just me. It just might clean out the primer pocket a bit.
    His post which was right above yours explained how it happened. Sometimes stuff happens and you just deal with it.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Wise

"Oh, By the way, part of the inheritance (the dearly departed was not anyone I knew, he was a friend of a friend who knew I am a shooter/reloader) was the set of 30/30 dies (less the crimp) which I did not have. That is why 30/30 is a new reload for me."

I believe your seating die if properly adusted with crimp that brass. Every rifle or handgun seating die I own including several Dillons (550B) will crimp the cases. it's just a matter of proper adjustment of the die. Might take a small amount of trial and error to get it just right if you've never done it that way before but I do belive your seating die will crimp. I use a Rockchucker for my rifle ammo and the two sets of 30-30 dies I have will crimp the brass oto the bullets. Check it out an see for yourself.
    Paul B.

Wise

Oh, before I forget, probably if you load that brass that was tumbled with the primers is loaded and shot, preferably as plinkers, I'm guessing you'll just experience erratic ignition. The only worry I might have is if one of those erratic ignitions only pushes the bullet into the barrel and the bullet does not exit. Probably won't happen but one never knows for sure. A stuck bullet in the barrel would cause a catastrophic failure for sure. It pays to be careful and primers are cheap. If they look OK after removing them, basically are the anvils still in plce, go ahead and use them for plinking or practice loads. They should be fine for that.
    I've been handloading ammo for myself and as a custom business many years ago and have never tumbled primed brass, probably more to my good luck than anything else. FWIW, I once had to pull the bullets from over 600 rounds of milsurp WW2 30-06 brass, remove the primers and the primer crimp. I just went slow and easy removing the primers being as gentle as possible and not a one ever went bang. I used a regular sizing die to do the job but today I would invest in one of those universal decapping dies. Mine is by RCBS. Just remember, primers are cheap compared todamaged or blown up guns, not to mention body parts.
    Paul B.

Do yourself a favor cycle the cases through the 30 30, punch out the primers and start over. It will be a one hour, three doller learning experience.

Shoot them up for range loads (not hunting rounds). Enjoy it while you do.