Thread: 454 Casull

GunLoad Trainee

Default 454 Casull

Anyone got any loads for 300 grain lead (no GC) in 454 Casull? I prefer 2400, 110 or 296 powder.

Welcome to the guide Natbrnklr!!! I don't load for the 454, but i bet some of the other guys do
    Toney Relic Hunter

I load several different cast bullets in my .454's, but the only powder of the three you prefer is 2400. H-110 and WW 296 are powders that can't be reduced much from maximum without problems. At the velocities they attain given that restriction, a plain based bullet would probably lead badly.

Although I don't use 2400 in my .454's, with a 300 grain lead bullet, I'd suggest you start at around 22 grains.

My favorite powder for reduced power loads is Bluedot, and that's what I use for plain based cast bullets. Try starting at 16 grains of Bluedot with your 300 gr. lead, should be good for around 1200 fps in a 7 1/2" barrel.

You really need to use a gas checked bullet or jacketed if you want the kind of performance that the .454 Casull offers.

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks, I use bluedot too so I'll try 16 grains. I have 100 300gr lead and 100 255gr lead. I'd like to use some or all of them before buying any more jacketed or GC'd ones.

My dad use to be a timber faller in south east Alaska on the islands, where there are a lot of bears. No not all the bears are mean. He had some walk up to him sniff him and then walk off. One time he was falling timber, and I think ran out of gas, so went to his pack to get more and a bear was on the pack ripping it open. The gun was in the pack so dad (do not try this at home. this was a prefessional at this) swatted the bear as hard as he could on the back with a spruce limb so the bear went away for a minute. dad had a ruger redhawk 44 mag. Dad picked a stick and said to him self *if he gets to that stick I am going to shoot*........BOOM. as the bear was rolling down the hill dad shot 2 or 3 more shots double action to be sure.

After this incident dad went to the 454 and developed a 400 grain Cast boolit for bear protection. Dad got a freedom arms revolver. Dad had a freedom arms that he sold last month that he used for his normal, every day hand gun. Now he has a Ruger bisley in 45 colt and a Tauris in 480 Ruger

I Will try to post some load data to night.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)