Thread: the new Hornady Sonic Cleaner

GunLoad Trainee

Default the new Hornady Sonic Cleaner

Am thinking about buying one and was wanting some input. Good or Bad?

Cool

If you simply have to clean your cases, this type of cleaner will minimize or eliminate your airborne lead exposure, and generally they do a pretty good job. I don't know how shiny they will come out, but they will be free of the worst of the crud. They are used regularly to clean VERY expensive jewelry, so they are obviously both safe and effective.

If you are looking for an opinion of the specific product, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Shiny clean cases are to me a needless vanity. I am approaching a quarter million rifle and handgun rounds loaded in over 35 years at the loading bench and I have never cleaned a single case other than to wipe them with a clean cloth before sizing if they've hit the dirt and also after if I need to remove any remaining case lube. I like to be able to look at my cases and clearly see wear, scratches, and the bright rings of incipient head separation that can be so easily masked by a session in a tumbler. Pretty to me is a box of old ugly darkened cases that shoot one hole groups, and not, as I often see at our range, a box of shiny new looking rounds that print shotgun patterns.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I have both the black sonic cleaner and the new stainless model both from Hornady, I love them. They have worked flawlessly now and even though many will say they are not needed, I feel I do.