Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEE lube how thick?

I find it's easier to wipe the exposed lead on the loaded rounds with a cloth soaked in paint thinner or mineral spirits than it is to single dip them. I do that in hot weather, but here that's only two months at most. I have heard other casters also use the mica with good results. Humidity seems to slow the evaporation of the solvent in the Liq ALOX, and in muggy weather it can be messy. My pet theory is that the people who live where it is hottest and most humid are the ones that like it the least.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Yep that's what i do. I just use a rag to wipe them rifle bullets off to keep dirt and stuff from sticking on them while out hunting
    Toney Relic Hunter

I've worked with the Lee Liquid Alox a bit and find it a great product. I've also tried a lot of methods and here is what works best for me...

I heat a large mug of water in a microwave just like if I was heating up a cup of coffee. When I pull it out, I sit the bottle of lube in the cup for a few minutes. I shake it up and then with my bullets in a tub, I apply one drop to each bullet's lube grooves and then start stirring the bullets in the tub until the bead of lube has spread over the bullets. One coat for pistol bullets and three for rifle. I size the bullets after the first coat.

I shoot the TLC432-285-RF (see group buys) lubed in this manner and there is a lube star on the barrel so I figure it is good enough.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Lee Liquid alox

Hi Folks

I use Lee liquid alox for my Lee .312 /185 cast bullets. I tumble them using
    styrofoam cereal bowls doing about 50 at a time. I do it once before sizing and after
    and have had excellent results in two M39 mosin nagants and a No#4 mk 1 enfield.
    Velocity has been 1800-1900 with little or no leading using heat treated WW. Am
    looking forward to using them this deer season.

Mike

I think you can even get the same stuff a whole lot cheaper from www.lsstuff.com.
    I bought a 10 sticks of his carnuaba red....
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

It may not be the solution to all your problems, but LLA is just too darn easy to apply for a feller NOT to develop a load that works with it. That load will become your gen'ral plinker load. If you find a load that you can race with all the better.

Keep some gunscrubber on hand for when your dies get gummed up with the LLA though. That's my biggest gripe. I'll be happily loading away then suddenly I notice the OAL goes all loo-loo. Time to clean the gunk out of the seater die.