Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEE lube how thick?

Quote Originally Posted by kg42
    So, how did it work ?
    I took the 30-30 out with me as my working rifle this last trip loaded up with the Lee lubed 150 gns !Now whilst it seemed to keep the leading down ect ! I'm still a little hesitent about using it full time .More over the fact that old Habits die hard .I'll probarly use it for my Pistol cal Bullets, but I think for my long arms I'll stick to normal lube ! Well work wise any way

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

What kinda lube you using Dave?
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    What kinda lube you using Dave?
    A few years ago I happened to meet a Chap who knew a chap ,who was related to a chap who if you did'nt ask questions, could obtain bulk orders of certain articals at different times! I obtained from him a vast quantity of RCBS lube of which ,I'm nearly out of

Dave

I put the Lee alox in the microwave for about 30 seconds, that thins it to about half of it's cold temperature and I don't have to mess with solvents. You guys are weird.....I love the smell of alox and Hoppes!

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB
    I put the Lee alox in the microwave for about 30 seconds, that thins it to about half of it's cold temperature and I don't have to mess with solvents. You guys are weird.....I love the smell of alox and Hoppes!
    Ah a man after my own heart I love the smell of m reloading room , Gun oil, Solvent ,Alox , powder, Case lube & the smell of a thousand forgotten Farts! It's a place to go & meditate & hide from the world
    Cheers for the heads up on the Microwave idea! It works a treat !!

Dave

My room smells like hoppes and cosmoline. Got it last summer when my oldest girl moved out. Glad to get the room, and she just moved over a couple of buildings.
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    My room smells like hoppes and cosmoline. Got it last summer when my oldest girl moved out. Glad to get the room, and she just moved over a couple of buildings.
    I'm a Bugger for punnishment ! I had it all ! The kids grew up & left home ,then my first wife ran off with another bloke (poor soul ) ! I had it all I had a bench rest set up in the dinning room so I could shoot out the comfort of my window & never get wet in winter & hot in summer ! Then what did I do ? Got remarried & stocked the house with kids again !!!!Mans got to be a fool to himself !!! But t the end of the day I have the inner sanctum (my reloading room ) where I can hide !(I would'nt change a thing though ! I have another generation of shooters to train up)

Dave

GunLoad Trainee

Lee Liquid Alox is advertised with an illustration of the intact Alox - lube remaining on the bullet when it is in the process of sagging from heat of a nearby torch.

When I use liquid alox I pour a 2L soda bottle-cap full of it and dip each bullet JUST to the last lkube groove and let dry on wax paper ..I dont like coating the no=bearing surfaces of the bukllet. I dust the dried bullets next day with motor mica (powdered mica dust used by manufatuurers for motor assembly)

It IS that good. I make my own lubes and Alox 2138 for the NRA Alox-beeswax formula is not longer available.

You might try a version of SAECO GREEN bullet lube whose recipe I got from one of their field reps. on another cast bullet group . It is a luber-sizer lube, a bit hard, and a heater (or gooseneck lamp) might be needed but it works excellently with allmy rifler and pistol bullets. I shifted away from ALOX-based lubes because of smoke complaints.

SAECO GREEN

1 # canning paraffin wax
    1/2 bottle STP
    1 # beeswax

melt all in double boiler and mould in 1" PVC tubing capped at bottom with a center thru-screw into a 1/4" dowel rod

Yodar in Orlando

GunLoad Trainee

I tumble lube ALL my pistol bullets with LEE Liquid stuff. I use mostly Tumble Lube moulds. I use Lee push through sizers exclusively for rifle bullets and lube them with LEE as well. The harder, higher velocity ones get hand lubed with Smith's Blue whatever it's called.
    I hope there is a gun range in heaven, otherwise I'm going to hell!

Quote Originally Posted by yodar
    Lee Liquid Alox is advertised with an illustration of the intact Alox - lube remaining on the bullet when it is in the process of sagging from heat of a nearby torch.

When I use liquid alox I pour a 2L soda bottle-cap full of it and dip each bullet JUST to the last lkube groove and let dry on wax paper ..I dont like coating the no=bearing surfaces of the bukllet. I dust the dried bullets next day with motor mica (powdered mica dust used by manufatuurers for motor assembly)

It IS that good. I make my own lubes and Alox 2138 for the NRA Alox-beeswax formula is not longer available.

You might try a version of SAECO GREEN bullet lube whose recipe I got from one of their field reps. on another cast bullet group . It is a luber-sizer lube, a bit hard, and a heater (or gooseneck lamp) might be needed but it works excellently with allmy rifler and pistol bullets. I shifted away from ALOX-based lubes because of smoke complaints.

SAECO GREEN

1 # canning paraffin wax
    1/2 bottle STP
    1 # beeswax

melt all in double boiler and mould in 1" PVC tubing capped at bottom with a center thru-screw into a 1/4" dowel rod

Yodar in Orlando

Thanks for the tip about the bottle top methord I'm going to try that out ! I've got some .303 185 gn slugs to lube so I'll try it out on them !

Dave