Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEE lube how thick?

Default LEE lube how thick?

I was made a Presant of a bottle of LEE Lube today & I was wondering how do you now when you have coated the Bullets enough ! I tumbled them & they seem to have a good coat & I have poured them on to grease proof paper to Dry! They are for a 30-30 any advice would be a great help

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

d-o-k, Assuming youv'e sized your CB's to fit, what you've done is correct, but the test will be in how they shoot. If they group well and don't lead your bore, change nothing. If they group poorly and leave Pb alloy deposits (the second may cause the first), you'll need to check the velocity and maybe reduce it and think about adding another coat of Liquid Alox. Hope this helps!

I tried the Lee lube on a batch of boolits, she nearly had a fit from the smell...guess you shouldn't do it in the house.

Think I'll stick to gaschecks and regular bullet lube in a sizing press.

Jim

LEE says very little, happy users say fill the grooves... go figure!

I am somewhere between the two, about one drop per ten bullits (standard lube grooves, the TLs are worse. I usually don't resize).
    I used it in 44 carbines with cowboy loads and it was ok, not as good as standard lubes (it never is, specially in revolvers and/or less than smooth barrels).

Anyways I'm mostly happy with Liquid Alox in autoloading pistols and it's a great time saver.

kg

Smile

D-O-K, I just swirl them in a round bottomed margarine tub until there's an even coating. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon for 100. I just do it by eye, it doesn't take much, or more than 30 seconds to get them all coated. I do them out in the shop - the solvent in them is petroleum based, as Bigbore44 found out the hard way. A little mineral spirits can thin it, too, and some prefer to use it that way for a lighter coating or for a second coat. I just use it straight up and spread them out on some aluminum foil or wax paper, depending on which one I grab when I reach into the drawer. I like to take a pencil and stant them on end and be sure none are touching. I like the system a lot and have been using it exclusively since a friend discovered it and we began experiments.
    Years back I got a great deal on a used Lyman lubrisizer with a heater and some dies. I used it for many handgun bullets, mostly plain based for .38 & .357 revolvers, through which we shot at least 10 boxes a week (500rds) in the warmer weather, and for a fair amount of .44's and .45's for friends. I prowled the shows and yard sales and snapped up more sizers and punches whenever I found them. Then I began to shoot high powered rifles with jacketed bullets and muzzle loaders and the sizer gathered dust most of the time. After the first batch I tried with the liquid, I liked it so much that I sold the old sizer and the several dozen dies & top punches I'd accumulated and bought some push-throughs, a couple molds, and a rifle with the money. In the last few years, I have begun to cast for my rifles, and it seems like friends and club members keep dropping by with melters, ingots, gas checks, and old molds that have been gathering dust and "ought to be used, cast me some when you play with it, OK?" Part of it is that they know I have enough time on my hands, (I am disabled), and the other part is that they know I don't have a lot of extra cash and it's a win-win situation all around. Keeps me out of what trouble I could still get into!
    Truth to tell, I probably cast four times as many bullets now as I ever did then, but I load around the same amount of cartridges according to my records. All of them get lubed with liquid Alox and push-through sized except the round balls & Maxi Balls, even the .45cal HP's that go into sabots for my .54. I hear a lot of mud slung about as to how smelly and messy and what a pain it is. I can remember trying to remove hard lube from the hardwood floor on more than one occasion when the old heated unit sprang a leak and I didn't notice right away. Alox cleans up with a paper towel from floor or fingers. The only drawback is the drying time, but I'm not the instant gratification kind of guy. I have several projects of different sorts happening in house and shop, and move from one to the other when I've been in one position too long and start to stiffen up. I will cast huge batches of many different weights and sizes over the course of a day, then work them up in small batches as is convenient, 100-200 at a time, over the next two weeks. For a man that had only a few hours here and there due to a busy schedule, it would be easier to cast and size in one session to be able to shoot on the day off. If one had to do really high volumes like thousands a week, the conventional unit would be more practical, too, I suppose, but my present system is more than adequate to my needs.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thanks for the advice you blokes ! I've used a lube sizer for years (lyman ) so this alox was all new to me but the Chap that gave it to me swears by it !But seemed to think I'd work it out for myself !

Dave

I have never tried the lee liquid alox, But have heard that some people like it. What I use is Bull Shop Speed Green, available at http://www.bullshop.gunloads.com/. Go to prices and go the the bottom of the page. that is the price plus shipping which is under $15.00 I think. I think that I can fit 10 lubes in a package. my mom just shipped some lube to sweden for $9.00, but australia might be higher.
    Delbert/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

[QUOTE=Bullshop Junior]I have never tried the lee liquid alox, But have heard that some people like it. What I use is Bull Shop Speed Green, available at http://www.bullshop.gunloads.com/. Go to prices and go the the bottom of the page. that is the price plus shipping which is under $15.00 I think. I think that I can fit 10 lubes in a package. my mom just shipped some lube to sweden for $9.00, but australia might be higher.
    Delbert/BS JR.[/QUOTE

Cheers for that Mate ! When I use up my existing stock of stick lube. I'll be certainly giving you a call (I got really good deal a while back on some Rcbs lube .Ok so it was that hot I have to use gloves to handle it but there you go ) I've read some good things about the Bullshop Green & would rather deal with a small company with a face than a Large corporation anyday of the week I have made a point of adding your webb site to my Bookmarks ! I lso recomend anyone who casts or is in the market for cast boolits to have a look at whats avalible .On the site .Belive me they have it all covered !

Dave
    Last edited by d-o-k; 01-05-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Just give the batch I'm trying a second coat ! I thinned it out with a tad of White spirit !Tracey (my wife ) walked out into my reloading room to see what I was doing & just shook her head & wandered off again So I may have got away with the fumes ! I'm still trying to get my head round the fact that it dosen't seem to be a real thick coating (like a normal lube ) but I suppose all of the bearing surfaces are coated. So it now remains to be seen what happens

Dave

So, how did it work ?