Thread: Bullet lubes

Chubbo
    Punta Gorda FL. winter Grove City OH. summer

Question Bullet lubes

Hi, All:
    I wanted to start loading .38LC cartridges, to shoot in a conversion cylinder, in a Colt Navy .36 cal. repo. I have gathered up most of the componants, but the cast bullets that I got, have not been sized and lubed. They are 150 gr. FN Hollow base bullets. It just dawned on me that my sizing/ lubing press is back in Ohio, and I am in Florida. I thought the bullets were sized, and lubed, but they are nether. I am going to have to get sized bullets, or find a way to size the ones that I have. Does anyone know of a source of .38 cal. Hollow base bullets that are lubed and sized? The hollow base on the bullets that I have to use, presents a problem in the lube department. Should I use a Alox/beeswax liquid lube, or a regular hard lube? Should I fill the base of the hollow bullets with a filler? Has anyone loaded this .38LC combination? Any comments, or Info on this matter will be appriciated.
    Thanks.
    Chubbo

Welcome to the guide Chubo!

I have not loaded for that but i think 38 bullets would work fine without being sized sized

I have been using Lee LIQUID ALOX It's easy, the bottle i'm using has done around 1500 45 bullets with some left

What about them hollow base wad cutters? I've shot a lot of them hornady DEWC's Dong's sells them for around $14 for a box of 300
    Toney Relic Hunter

Question

Chubbo, I've got a couple of questions for you. First, isn't the Colt .36cal. Navy designed for a .375" bullet? Second, doesn't the .38 Long Colt use the same diameter bullet as the .38spl., i.e., somewhere around .357"? If so, how are you going to get the smaller ones to slug up to the Navy's bore? Lastly, the kind of lube you need will depend on whether you're going to use BP or Pyro. P or smokeless. Liquid Alox is easy to use, but it isn't made for BP or Pyro. fouling and will do nothing to reduce it. On the other hand, any of the proprietary BP lubes, e.g., T/C, Ox-Yoke, Blue & Gray, etc. will work with BP (or Pyro.) and are just as easy (and as messy) to apply as Liquid Alox.

As for HBWC's, Remington, Winchester and Hornady offer these with some sort of dry lube already applied. However, I don't know whether that lube is BP-friendly.

when you seat them balls it cuts a ring off of them, the bore is just over .360 nowhere near the .375

If it were me i would buy another gun instead of a $200 cylinder, but i bet unsized cast bullets would shoot pretty good
    Toney Relic Hunter

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/heelbullets.htm
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/lube.htm

I wouldn't use a filler or hard lube, the bullets should be soft enough to upset (are they soft lead ?). I've been very unsuccessful with LiquidAlox in revolvers, and not too satisfied by hard lubes in mild loads (admitedly the alloy was very hard too...).

I think your bullets are already undersized for the barrel so it's a matter of lubing them by hand.

I've got recipes for lubes if you don't find any soft one. Avoid petroleum based ones with blackpowder.

Keep us informed
    kg
    Last edited by kg42; 01-03-2006 at 10:51 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

i have ben using lee liquid alox for years and have no problems shooting rifle and handgun.