Thread: Thinkin bout this as a new proj.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Thinkin bout this as a new proj.

Take a VZ24 & re-bbl w/heavy wt. bbl. and chamber it in .338 Lapua mag
    add a fiberglass stock
    Timmny trigger
    parkerize it,
    add a nice scope, then get a second mortgage and buy brass and dies

also thinkin bout makin an m48 yugo into a scout rifle, mabey even in 8mm06.............

its only money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 24 action will work great Don't know about you shoulder

I had some 175gr sierra sp for the 8, have only been loading the hornady round nose bullets at 30-30 speeds but sence i've got through with the 03 38 turk sporter i figured i needed a 200+yd load My arm still hurts!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Smile Mauser 98 Scout Rifle

Uncle,
    Heres's my 1916 Oberndorf 8x57mm Scout rifle. Base is mounted on the flat where the rear sight was originally found. I usually have an Aimpoint on it, but removed it for a friend to try it out on one of his hunting rifles. The stock is a B&C. She's a real sweetie and keeps almost everything I've tried in her under 2" (10 shot groups @ 100yds). There are mounts available now that will work without complete removal of the rear sight - you just have to drive out the ladder's pin. Wish they'd had them when I did this one, would have saved me a lot of work!
    A good project for your mod 48. With all the 8mm brass that's easily available now, I can't see why you'd want to go to 8-06. Those conversions were generally done because the brass was so scarce after WWII. You may also have some cartridge length issues that will require either a cut in the receiver ring or limiting yourself to short, light bullets. There is really no practical advantage of the 8-06 over the 8x57, in fact, the reverse is often the case. (If the rifle has accuracy issues, you probably already know rechambering won't cure them, but recrowning couldn't hurt. Rebarreling is easy enough to do, though.)
    Last edited by versifier; 01-01-2006 at 04:50 AM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Hi versifier

You make a very good point, I am gona build a scout rifle for sure, my orig. post was realy just one of my rambalings.... I hear voices in my head they tell me to do such strange things, but I like the m-48 for that project as it is already a short, light, (to me 6"4 275 lbs) rifle, I have seen that mount in magazines are they pretty solid?

Tony I have had good luck w/32gr of imr 3031 low recoil very accurate..............

I will probably do the scout B-4 the Lapua, that project will probably get XXX-pensive............
    Last edited by uncle guns; 01-01-2006 at 04:41 PM.

My hunting load is 39gr 30-31 kicks harder than it should for the speed, but it's not bad. Tryed 45gr 30-31 was setting at the picnick table and took it to high up, it left a pretty good mark

Think i'm gonna try the hornady 150gr SP next. Don't think you need to worry about getting them bullets out to the rifling, Set one of them sie 175gr bullets on top of a case and that 03 turk ate it. Did'nt even stick the bullet!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Smile 98 mounts & loads

Uncle,
    I looked at one of those mounts on a much-bubba'd Mauser at a show last summer. It was really solid and the guy wouldn't sell it without the rifle. Unfortunately, after he'd gotten through with his "customizing", the mount was worth more, and I couldn't see shelling out what he was asking ($500+) even if he'd had a clue and done the job right. Brownells lists B-Square's M98 Classic Military Mount (cat #2B50A75) and XS Sight Systems Scout Scope Mount, (but that requires complete removal of the sight base and some drill & tapping).
    Favorite loads for the old girl are with 150gr Sierras and IMR 3031, 35.4gr for target and 42.1gr for hunting. I start to get flattened primers at 45gr and above, but at her age I won't stress her with hot loads. (My brother's 1944 98K likes 45.5gr best (1.5" 5shot 100yds) and shows no pressure signs at the 47.2gr listed as max load. Both rifles keep the target load at around 1".) I have a couple of other projects coming up before I start testing cast loads in her, but that is what I have in mind for her (and my) golden years.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by uncle guns
    Hi versifier

You make a very good point, I am gona build a scout rifle for sure, my orig. post was realy just one of my rambalings.... I hear voices in my head they tell me to do such strange things, but I like the m-48 for that project as it is already a short, light, (to me 6"4 275 lbs) rifle, I have seen that mount in magazines are they pretty solid?

Tony I have had good luck w/32gr of imr 3031 low recoil very accurate..............

I will probably do the scout B-4 the Lapua, that project will probably get XXX-pensive............
    Listern to those voices ! My Wife is jealous cause she can't hear the ones in my head

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by uncle guns View Post
    Take a VZ24 & re-bbl w/heavy wt. bbl. and chamber it in .338 Lapua mag
    add a fiberglass stock
    Timmny trigger
    parkerize it,
    add a nice scope, then get a second mortgage and buy brass and dies

also thinkin bout makin an m48 yugo into a scout rifle, mabey even in 8mm06.............

its only money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The M48 has an intermediate length action and will be too short for the 8mm-06 conversion,the k98 action will work.