Thread: Recording Group Sizes

Thumbs up Recording Group Sizes

I've gotta question for you target shooters, tiny group seekers, and all the rest of you crazy rascals that measure group sizes down to the .001 of an inch, like me...

What do you do with your fired targets, *after* you take those critical (kidding!) close measurements... In this day and age of scanners and spreadsheets and computers, etc...

Does anyone bother scanning the actual targets and keeping the archived for a particular gun, etc...?

What do y'all think...?
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Default recycle

I am I will admit a caliper wielding freak when it comes to measuring groups but i just write down all pertinent info and reuse the 18x24 paper (at least three times) and tape the holes (masking) or paste a 6" shoot-n-see over it thats my program anyway and I usually go with a 2.5" shoot-n-see for scoped work @ 100 yds. the 6" for 25,50,and 100 open sights
    I have a plan

I will save reference targets for best powder/bullet combinations for most of my rifles (a few dozen targets in a file folder), but mostly I just log the group sizes in my loading notes and throw fired targets away after. As it's strictly for my own reference, I also only measure "outside to outside" to the nearest 1/8" to get my group size and don't subtract one bullet diameter, though if I am going to share or post the results I will measure the groups carefully with a caliper and subtract to follow the current convention. I am not a competitive shooter and am mostly interested in hunting loads, usually cast loads, for my rifles and handguns, so I seldom need to bother about super precise measurements. I concern myself with MOd (minute of deer for hunting rifles), MOa (minute of a$$hole for carry guns), and POI shift if I have more than one load for regular use in a particular firearm.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thumbs up

Then let me help you get even more precise and more accurate measurements...

Someone posted this link over in Facebook of all places!

www.ontargetshooting.com

Here's the catch: You have to either take a digital picture of your group(s) or scan them in... (That's what I do, I use an Epson Artisan 800 and man does it do a good job!)

The ONTARGET program does an excellent job of telling you several things, like Group Offset Horizontal, Group Offset Vertical, Group Width, Group Height, Average to Center (distance from point of aim to center of group), and Max Spread (CTC distance)

The best part now... The price? It's FREEWARE, and no, not spyware, I scanned it several times. It's Freeware no strings attached. The author does have a link on his website to buy ONTARGET Ball Caps, if you want to support him.

I love the software, my discovery came after I posted the first message in this thread...

An important tip about using the software: Read the Help file first. It explains exactly how to use the software.

Lemme know what ya think Casullman... Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by casullman View Post
    I am I will admit a caliper wielding freak when it comes to measuring groups but i just write down all pertinent info and reuse the 18x24 paper (at least three times) and tape the holes (masking) or paste a 6" shoot-n-see over it thats my program anyway and I usually go with a 2.5" shoot-n-see for scoped work @ 100 yds. the 6" for 25,50,and 100 open sights
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Jim excellent site although that may be a tad too freaky for me in most cases but very cool I would even give it a run if I had a scanner (I guess i live behind the times a bit) CTC is how I measure some at the range would disagree
    Last edited by casullman; 08-08-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    I have a plan