Thread: Loading the 22 Hornet With Jacketed Bullets

GunLoad Trainee

Default Loading the 22 Hornet With Jacketed Bullets

Hi everyone,

Dad just purchased a Beeman 22 Hornet bolt gun and sent it to me for load work-ups. He sent sets of RCBS & Redding dies in 22 Hornet and sets of RCBS & Redding dies in 22 K-Hornet. I feel confident the gun is factory stock as a Hornet but I guess one never knows.

Anyway, I have ~500 new Remington brass, Speer 45 gr. spitzer's (p/n 100 1023), Sierra 45 gr. Soft Points (p/n 1210), Nosler 40 gr. ballistic tip's (p/n 39510), Nosler 45 gr. solid base (p/n 35487) & Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic tip's (p/n 39526). I plan on starting with LilGun and see the load data is 12-13 gr. across the board for almost any bullet. It appears to have a 6 groove 1 in 14 trwist barrel. I guess I am looking for any suggestions.

Robert
    Robert
    NRA Life Member
    Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club Life Member

"Enjoy life like there is only 6 weeks left"

SpringCreekTradeCo

What ever became of the loading trials you described? What did the Beeman like best?

How old is that Beeman? Older 22 Hornets were bored and rifled for .222 diameter bullets, there are still a few around, Savage and Stevens and maybe even some Winchesters.

sierra makes a nice 40 gr rn in 223 just for those older rifles they done pretty well in the 223 also.

GunLoad Trainee

You'll know if it's been modified to "K" status as soon as you fire the first round. The case will come out looking like a mini 30-30 case. You can fireform brass with full loads, but most folks recommend using slightly reduced loads. When I fireform for mine, I shoot a 40gr bullet at about 2700 fps, and the accuracy is virtually identical to my "good" loads.
    LilGun is a very good choice for the hornet, but I like AA1680 almost as well. It doesn't give quite the velocity that LG does, but it's consistency is difficult to beat.
    I have not had much luck stabilizing the 55gr bullets. I can shoot the Speer 50gr TNT with good accuracy, but haven't had the same success with the 55gr. My rifle is a 1-14 twist as well.
    Good luck with your hornet... they are great little rifles.