Thread: 748 and .223 55FMJ

GunLoad Trainee

Default 748 and .223 55FMJ

I had not loaded any since mid 2004 ,home damaged in 2005 so everything was put on the back burner! I had some/lots picked up. Still have some of what I have loaded in the past, so I pulled a few and looks like 25.5gr of WW748.
    I am going to load some now and wondering what opinion was on that.
    I have in the past loaded some soft points to long and had a few jams in one AR and not the other when testing them but shot fine. So when I loaded the last FMJ OAL was 2.220 and another batch at 2.216 due to the Ogive of the bullets gave a slighty shorter OAL with the same setting of the seating die.
    I measured some factory the lenths that were all over the place from brand to brand.

I shoot a 55 grain jacketed bullet with 27.1 grains of 748 powder, they group on the hundred yard range about 1.2 inches. I shoot Minute of Ground Hog, so these work find for me.

When I shoot a Sierra 69 grain HPBT bullet, my more favorite projectile, I use 25.5 grains of 748. These I get very tight goups out of them, we are talking 1 inch and less.

I shoot these thru a Colt AR 15, NM HBAR.

Jerry
    Last edited by miestro_jerry; 06-20-2010 at 01:11 PM.