Thread: Pistol Powder

GunLoad Trainee

Default Pistol Powder

Hi Guys
    I've been loading 38 special with Bullseye and 45 ACP with Unique for 50 years and been happy with that. But for the last few years I have been shooting at an indoor range with marginal air flow, and rapid fire with those powders has me shooting thru a smoke cloud. A friend suggested Winchester 231 as being much less smoky and I have been trying that; not much better
    Can anyone suggest a powder for these cartridges that will help me with this problem?

Are you using cast bullets? If you are, a great deal of the smoke will be coming from the lubricant on the bullets. I shoot cast bullets and I get smoke no matter what powder I use.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Guesser... You were right!

You suggested that the cast bullet lube was making all that smoke and not the powder. today I loaded up a bunch of 45 acp jacketed bullets with 231 and shot up a storm at my local range. No smoke cloud!! Thanks for the tip, appreciate it! It has been years since I shot jackets in a pistol I was blind to the effect.
    Last edited by Dakbroadbent; 05-13-2010 at 03:05 AM.

I like my cast bullets, I seldom shoot jacketed. For me, smoke is part of getting a good bullet at a good price and good performance. Glad you have pin pointed the source.