Thread: 1911 Trigger Job

GunLoad Trainee

Default 1911 Trigger Job

Hi Guys I have a "mil spec" 1911 that has a pretty rough trigger pull. I'm going to ship it to Springfield to have it tuned. They asked me what poundage I wanted the trigger pull set at. My other 1911s break in a range of 3.75 to 6.5 lbs. I have always liked the pulls at less than 4 lbs, but what do you 1911 guys think is an optimum break?

Will you use it for target shooting or carrying? A target pistol can have a pretty light trigger and still be safe, I think some people go a bit overboard and a pull of two pounds or less is dangerous, especially in inexperienced hands. Under stress, I'd prefer it to be a bit heavy (and might settle for reliability over precise accuracy) - if the triggerpull is clean and the smootheness of the trigger itself is also, there is no problem with four or five or even six pounds as long as you practice enough with it and are used to it. Is there a happy medium? I think so. Unless you want to upgrade it to racegun status I think I could live with a clean 4-5 pound trigger that groups consistantly at 25yds.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775