Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on the 7mm Remington Magnum

Hello Drummer,

I’m sorry to say the 7 Mag project has been temporarily shelved (medical bills…everyone’s OK…I think the doctor wants to buy a new Corvette).

I did manage to squeeze in a new Leupold 3 X 9 scope for one of the other rifles before the hammer dropped. I haven’t even made it to the range for testing on that one, yet.

You guys will be the first to know when the 7 happens.

I promise!

Drummer

Hope all is OK mate.

More food for thought ; IMHO the 7mm is very versitile but short cases dont load (good) with long projectiles and mag actions cost more to load so if your shots will be generally under 200 yds go with a 7mm-08 , 280, 7x57, 7mm wsm or even 284 win but to go long distance a rem,weatherby,stw or rem ultra will give more pepper way out there but for certain barell life is about half as much. The savage 114 is all the beautiful thing any browning is only it will most likely shoot better and the trigger action wont feel like your dragging it thru gravel before it the hammer drops just my HO
    Last edited by casullman; 05-02-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    I have a plan

GunLoad Trainee

I agree with casullman on the smaller 7MM cases. less recoil, less bang and with the good BC of the 7MM bullets it's all you need . Now if you're shooting down a power line or a canyon The 7MM mag could really pay off in range and trajectory.
    Endeavor to persevere: To exert oneself in an effort to persist in an undertaking in spite of counterinfluences, opposition, or discouragements.

I have one . A Ruger #1B, with a Moyers trigger and a Limbsaver. I shoot 150 Ballistic Silvertips from it, and it does quite well for itself. However, I'm not shooting elk or mule deer, so it probably isn't "needed." But it is "wanted."
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

Yeh my little brother has a 7 mag. I am here to say that my 7mm-08 does almost the same damn thing with a whole lot less hurt !

Mine doesn't "hurt." Not yet, anyway..
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

GunLoad Trainee

I don't know if anyone will read this but I have a 7mm Rem. Mag. in an encore and I took an elk at 584 yds. last year and have taken alot of deer at 600 to 650 with it. I reload all my shells and I own a 900 yard range so I make the time to go and shoot. I use 140 grn bullets for most but I used 175 on the elk and it was a bet I had with a freind for us to use ower 7mm this time. I have been hunting elk twice before but used a 300 Win. Mag. with 220 grn bullets. Never though of using the 7mm for anything but deer and hogs.
    If you are like the Mairnes one sho- one kill I would get the Encore but that is me. I have 5 frames and more than 15 barrels but have serval other guns that I love to shoot too but have copied alot of them in encores.
    Earl

GunLoad Trainee

HI,
    I have both a 7MM/06 & a 7MM MAG.
    I do shoot the 7MM/06 more, I load it with a 145gr. SPBT, AT 3050'/S. It was built on a Mauser Mark X action. It is my deer rifle. 3/4" groups at 100yds. And in my collage days on Every other sat. I would shoot 100 rounds at a steel plate 12"wX17"h at 600yds. for a 80% hit rate. I felt it would kill reliably at that range.

The 7MM MAG is a Remington 700, I load it with the 162gr. SPBT Hornady AT 3050'/S.
    It is my elk rifle. 3/4" groups at 100 yds., on the other Saturday I would shoot 100 rounds at the steel plate, for a 80hit/100 rounds.
    Same scope, ballistic twins, same stock shape.
    For deer past 600yds. the Mag is what I took. That does occur here in Utah, in some places.

Yes, I played with j-bullets of 110grs to 175 grs. You can get 220gr. bullets for the 7MM. It would work for Moose, & bear if I got the chance. As well as long range Antelope.
    Have shot both with cast boolits. For which the 7MM/06 is better suited, fun for rabbits & squirrels.

Wise

I think the 7mm Rem. mag. would be a good choice considering where and what you want to hunt. As you say you're comfortable with the .375 H&H, the 7 mag. will seem like a pussycat.
    Personally, my choice would be a .300 Win. Mag. More punch way put yonder. The last elk hunt I did in Arizona, I dropped a nice fat cow elk at 530 yards, laser measured with my .300 Win. Mag. shooting a 200 gr. Speer Hot-Core at 2930 FPS at the muzzle. Three months of solid practice at the range, every week, sometimes twice a week on the range's silhouette range which allowed practice to 500 meters made the shot quite easy. The fact it was about 8 in the morning with no wind, a very slow walking animal and a good solid sitting position all went to making the kill simple. Normally, I don't like taking long shots. Kind of like Quigley. I don't have much use for longs shot. Doesn't mean I can't make one though. looking back over more than 50 years of hunting, I've only taken three long shots at game, one at 250 yards, laser measured, one at 427 paces, no laser measuring tools back in 1973, and the cow elk mentioned earlier.
    You'll do just fine with a 7 mag. get it an have fun.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.