Thread: 450 Mongo for Super Comanche

Refillin' for 36 years

Default 450 Mongo for Super Comanche

Just did a little workup on this wildcat for the Llama Super Comanche - single-shot .45 Colt / .410 shotshell. To be honest, I KNOW that this aint no T/C, and I am not going to be shooting benchrest with it - but a 6-ounce styrofoam coffee cup at 75 yards, offhand, in a 15 MPH wind ? Well, it happened ! Not as consistently as I'd like, but the misses were damn close, and the hits were hits.
    Started off with some R-P 444 Marlin cases. Annealed the front half, then opened them up, first with an old RCBS 44 Mag/44 Spec. belling die - then repeated with a 460 S&W belling die. Belled JUST enough to start the bullet - 205 grain cast SWC.
    Put Hornady's minimum charge of Bullseye in the case over a Remington 1-1/2 primer. Used one of the brass to cookie-cut a disc of styrofoam from a carry-out container, and forced this 'wad" down over the powder with a punch that was close to the I.D. of the brass. Set the boolit in place and seated it - NO CRIMP. First firing formed the front 1/2 of the brass to size.
    Next round - punched out the primers with a Lee primer punch and then resized with the 460 die. Belled again with the 460 die, and put a near-top end load (Hornady book) of Unique in the case - used the same wadding procedure, and topped off with a 255 grain cast SWC. This time, after seating the boolit as usual, I used the 460 seater die to put a FIRM crimp on the round. The result was what I reported at the beginning of all of this - VERY much improved accuracy over the standard 45 Colt round, no powder in the bore, and no pressure signs. The brass is in the tumbler now - in a couple of hours, I'll set 'em back up again with those 255's - and shoot the eyes out of something ...

Good job!

Which data did you use (caliber)?

Be aware that by leaving empty space between wad and bullet you could ring your chamber (I'm not sure of what you did there ).

And .... are they any LLama markings on your gun... (sorry but it itches me that they took the name after Llama went under...)

Keep us informed

kg

Refillin' for 36 years

Quote Originally Posted by kg42 View Post
    Good job!

Which data did you use (caliber)?

I used the 45 Colt data - regular data, not the T/C & Ruger Data - from the 7th edition Hornady book. Just looked at Lyman's loads for this boolit, and I am still well under their listed max.

Be aware that by leaving empty space between wad and bullet you could ring your chamber (I'm not sure of what you did there ).

So far, all I've done is develop the load. Haven't fired 25 rounds yet, so I'm not concerned about ringing at the moment, BUT your point is well taken. If I go with a filler, it'll be most likely Kapok or similar.

And .... are they any LLama markings on your gun... (sorry but it itches me that they took the name after Llama went under...)

I WISH it had Llama's stamp, but it doesn't. It's a newer model, and the manufacturer is Lasserre of Argentina. My .357 Comanche III IS Llama marked, however - so 1 outta two aint bad ! (BTW - seeking a rear sight blade for the 357..)

Keep us informed

kg
    Thanks for the inputs - I hope my reply is of use !

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb82301 View Post
    BTW - seeking a rear sight blade for the 357..
    Have you taken it apart yet? My 44 was improved by world famous "Bubba The Smith" and is not quite straight. I thought it might be easier for me to make a whole new monoblock sight.