Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resize New Brass?

Tumble,
    Measure to verify length (cut to “trim to” standard length),
    Chamfer mouths,
    Resize, load and have fun.

Ya’ gotta do it for the autos if you want accurate, well functioning loads.
    Ya’ gotta do it for accurate revolver loads…different lengths =different chamber pressures (crimps are not all the same).

Err on the side of accuracy…

In fact last week I was reloading 45 colt, I had 90 or so brand new Remington brass and 150 or so that had been shot all mixed together. But it was obvious which ones were new. While resizing I realized I was getting much more drag from the new brass than the previous fired. I guess the new brass wasn`t the same size as my die. hmmm

GunLoad Trainee

Thumbs up

This is only my third yr. with reloading but everyone I know says you should resize new brass. The reason is that the brass might not be perfectly round or the brass might not be sized.

GunLoad Trainee

On new brass I FL size, trim ( have found a wide amount of lenghts in new WW brass including way under lenght and not useable), uniform primer pockets, deburr inside the flashhole---- I know I am alittle anal with new brass but it's worth it to me and it shows on paper and Pdogs. My 2 sents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    I recently got my first .41 Mag and 1,000 cases. I found I pretty much had to size them in order to get consistent trim length.

Some .41 Special cases I got needed the works.
    What is the .41 Special?
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

It's just a slightly shorter version of the .41mag, as in .38spec and .44spec. As far as I know it's still in wildcat or semi-wildcat status as no one has made production revolvers or single shots for it that I have heard or read about. I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is a crimping die for it (.357 and .44mag dies are both now made short enough to use with their spec versions but the .41's are not). One could have Lee make up a custom FC die fairly inexpensively to cure that, though.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

I size, trim , primer pocket and flashhole all new brass. I won't weigh it anymore. Just shooting deer anyway.
    Endeavor to persevere: To exert oneself in an effort to persist in an undertaking in spite of counterinfluences, opposition, or discouragements.