Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 Bolt Won't Close on My Reloads

GunLoad Trainee

Will a commercial case allow the bolt to close? This may already have been asked and if so I missed it.

they will fit. it's his sizing thats off.

Well I received the guages from Midway. Checked the cases as per the instructions, 10 fired new cases, measure the shoulder and set the sizing die back .001-.002. I did that and now the cases chamber fine. Next step is to use the other guage to determine seating depth, then go to the range and try them out.

Shoulders measured out to between 1.4676 to 1.4696, average was 1.4686 and I set the sizing die to 1.4666. Now they chamber fine. It was a PITA to check them, but my son & I got it done.

THANK YOU guys for helping me out with this problem. I owe a debt of gratitude to all of you!
    Eagle15

Environmentalism is just another horse for the left to ride on because all the previous ones, called collectivism, communism, and progressivism, have been shot out from under them. (David Horowitz)

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle15 View Post
    This is driving me nuts, cases measure out same as new factory 223/5.56, only difference is COAL, but COAL is as specified by Speer and Hornady reloading books.

I've thoroughly cleaned the chamber and lugs, cleaned and oiled the BCG, it's a little better, but still won't close. The only thing I can see is the base is rough from the extractor.

As an added note I breoke the charging handle trying to remove a stuck loaded case.

Any ideas? Help!
    Well I have had this problem in the past , I found that even factory ammo was sticking in all of my ARs so after some investigating I found that 223 brass was not the same size as 5.56 NATO brass it seems that 5.56 brass is just abit smaller, so I oredered a small base die from Dillon Precision, you can contact them at 800-223-4570 this is thier order and technical assistance number. ARbldr

Thank you for the info. I will have to check it out. runfiverun stated that the sizewr trimmer die is a small base die and works well for him. I am going to get one soon. My standard Dillon sizer die set all the way down seems to have cured the problem though.
    Eagle15

Environmentalism is just another horse for the left to ride on because all the previous ones, called collectivism, communism, and progressivism, have been shot out from under them. (David Horowitz)

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

If you have cured the problem without the SB die, don't bother with it. Using it will shorten the working life of your brass considerably. I rely on them only when feeding issues give me no other choice. They really can be lifesavers for some pump, lever and semi actions, but the cost is always overworking the cases and cutting their usable lifespan in half.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thank you for the info. I went to the range last Sunday and all chambered and fired. I had some nice grouping at 100 yds, a little under 1.5 from the bench and sandbags for 10 shot groups with a couple of flyers.
    Eagle15