Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Mag. what weight bullet?

Linotype is much too hard for any hunting bullets. They will shatter like frangible bullets when they hit something solid like a large bone and not penetrate. Just like hunting with match bullets, lots of wounding, and can't be counted on for a clean kill. If they do penetrate and don't encounter anything hard, they will not expand and will impart little energy to the animal. Wheel weights work best for rifle bullets, 1/2 WW's 1/2 pure for handguns. If you only have lino, use 1/4 lino 3/4 pure lead. The softer you can go, the better as the bullets will deform in tissue but still hold together and penetrate properly. It's a tradeoff between velocity and performance. You can't push softer bullets as fast, but you don't need to for them to perform reliably.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I was going to try Lyman #2 that is 50/50 lino lead.I found that mould at MidwayUSA.They have 2 and 4 cavity.I have a bottom pour furnace.Which do you think would be best?I never used a 4 banger before.

I run singles, twos and sixes. The singles and twos are both steel and aluminum, the sixes all aluminum. I have never run a four cav so I really can't say, but the sixes sure put out a LOT of bullets very quickly, a big advantage considering how many handgun bullets I use. My 180 is a two cav. It really depends on how much you are going to shoot - I usually use lighter bullets for target practice so I don't use anywhere near as many of the heavy ones as I do 158's.

Cut your #2 alloy with an equal amount of pure lead and you'll do fine and save money.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I think I will get the 2 cavity mould.It costs less and I really don't shoot as much as I once did.The people around here get nervous if I cut loose with to many rounds.So to keep the peace I limit my shooting.However my friend has a range and once in a while we cut loose a lot of ammo.I am still thinking I may go to a 180 or 190 grn.I feel 200 is to much for a 686.If I had a Ruger I may see it the other way.