Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lets kick this puppy off!!!

GunLoad Trainee

Hi Maven.

I already have the RCBS decapping tool, so I'm going to use it on those GP-11 cases (et al). I would like a link if anyone has one, to a spec sheet for those cartridges. Just what is the correct nomenclature for those primers?

You are right on target about the thermometer. I read the thread that EDG started on CB and have put a digital meter with thermometer on my list. This works out nicely because I really messed up my small multimeter a few weeks ago.

I will most likely stick to Lee sizing dies/kits for now. The traditional lube/sizer is just a bit much for the budget now and I like that the Lee kits come with liquid alox, etc.

I will be slugging my bores some time in the next week or so.

I had hoped to copycat (for the 30-06 to 7.65 Belgium) the method used for forming .284 Win. brass to 7.5 Swiss, using the Lee 7.5 Swiss die. I have the dies and trimmers and thought that might be the most direct method to use.

By-the-way, I did get 50 pieces of .284 Win. for reforming to 7.5 Swiss, but I also hate the idea of tossing that GP-11 stuff if I can use it too!

Cheers,
    Eli

Eli, It occurred to me this AM to tell you that the .30cal. Lee bullet molds work rather well in the K-31 Swiss. I.e., the bore-riding nose is just about perfect for those short-throated rifles. Size them to .309", add 22gr. AA 5744 or H/IMR 4198 and you're in business!

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks Maven, Those rifles arrived today and I can not wait to clean them up and work out some loads.

That GP-11 sure is some beautiful ammo. I was showing my wife a round of Swiss stuff 1970s mfg. compared to some new Winchester rifle cartages and what a difference. The Swiss is perfect and the Winchester, somewhat tarnished, somehow seems....well shoddy. I see that the primers are crimped in and hope not to have too much trouble depriming them with the RCBS tool.

Have you (or anyone) any ideas about Lee dies for 38/357 (wadcutter) and .270?

I made a deal for ww with the owner of a fairly large tire shop and he would like to have a few cast bullets for himself and his son. I think he just liked the idea of getting something in exchange for his effort. I don't think these fine gentlemen reload as of yet, but who knows, the bug just might bit them too!

Thing is, I don't want put a lot of money into dies I may end up using on a few times, therefore Lee .

Cheers,
    Eli

Eli, Did you mean Lee molds or Lee dies? If the former, their button-nosed wadcutter was very accurate, but I had severe problems with mold fill-out and ended up tossing it, much to my regret. Sorry, but I've no experience with the .270Win.

GunLoad Trainee

Marven, a slip of the keys, I meant the mold.

Cheers,
    Eli

GunLoad Trainee

Eli

I have but one piece of advice given the complexity of what you're trying. Take it one or two rifles/calibers at a time and keep good records. You are gonna need the records to know what worked or didn't, cause there's no way you will remember unless you have an photographic memory. Take your time, master one thing at a time, and have fun shooting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks Wayne, I will likely be loading for the K31 and the 8mm Mauser first off. Depending on what the Belgium Mauser does with factory stuff, I will also load for that caliber.

Because I do not have a crony yet, I will keep things on the light side, believe me I don't think it's funny to blow up guns and show off scars. If I want maxium 'bang', I've got a .44 that makes A Lot of noise with the factory stuff.

I will be keeping these surplus reloads down also because I will using cast bullets, in the main.

Record keeping is a must.

Cheers,
    Eli

GunLoad Trainee

Wink

Eli; until last year all my 7.65 mauser brass was formed from 30-06,280,270 and even 35 whelen It just takes one trip thru the FL sizer die and trim to length, none of mine were ever to thick in the necks but you had better check-especially if you form them from whelen brass. My routine was to form first, then cut off with a tubing cutter, chamfer and trim- chamfer again. Lube the cases good, inside neck too- I've got Lyman and Hornady dies, the hornady form cases easier. You will have less failures if you use new brass, but I used a lot of used brass, just anneal it first(shoulder area on unformed cases) Now I just buy it from Graf & sons- 25.00 per hundred.
    Scooter

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks swheeler, I called Graf yesterday and they do have the 7.65 brass in stock. I had thought to form some from 30-06 and have 50 new pieces of R-P in waiting. I will be using the Lee Dies, if I go ahead.

I wonder which will give better service, the Graf stuff or reformed 30-06? I have read elsewhere that the Graf brass, in general, (particularly the 7.5 Swiss) has some problems, though the exact nature remains vague to me.

Which do you feel give better service/life, the Graff or reformed (new) 30-06?

Have you any favorite cast loads?

By-the-way, which 7.65 Mauser do you shoot and how do you feel it stacks up against other military Mauser calibers?

Cheers,
    Eli

GunLoad Trainee

Wink

Eli: just lube your 06 case good(inside neck too) run thru FL7.65 sizer, you now have a 7.65 mauser case with way too long neck. I just cut them off with a tubing cutter,trim in trimmer, chamfer, and load. For about 35.00 you can get a file trim die, then you could cut them off with a fine tooth hacksaw, speed things up a little. I formed them this way since 1980, then last fall I bought some of the Graf offered stuff!
    Scooter